4.3 5 speed swap to 350 w/automatic, keeping 5 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric flowers

Reaction score
I have a 94 only it's a 2 wheel drive and 4.3, with a manual 5 speed I am about to put a 350 in it,91 model, engine looks and set up identical,both are TBI and all the wiring is the same, I hope I can make it work

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ECM is going to be the hardest part. The 5spd V6 trucks used the newer style automatic ECM. The 5spd V8 trucks used the older style ECMs. Either going to have to change up the wiring or have a custom chip created starting with a V6 bin file.

eric flowers

Reaction score
I have a question, should I use the clutch that was originally in the truck as a 4.3 or should I change it to the clutch that it would have had if the truck came out with a 5.7, the reason I ask is the clutch is new that was in it as a 4.3

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference in the clutches? If one is different--bigger disc, more powerful pressure plate, etc., then I'd want the one that handled more torque.

I'd kinda expect that the clutches are the same, maybe the flywheel is different due to balance.