5.7l 350 twin turbo setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats pretty much what i thought i was just curious though. And thanks Aloicious I found a couple of your old threads too I might end up at some point getting the newer pcm and try to do some self tuning stuff.

Super Silvi 1990

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes this is true but you are forgeting the fact that those two turbos will need oil from your engine, the heat that they will create while spinning will make an intercooler necessary to make them effeicently run and create boost, like said before there is a large amount of plumbing work needing to be done to reroot that new induction air from those two turbos to your engine intake, spit out the used exhaust gas, and the blow off valves with in that setup would be in your steeing shaft and blasting air onto your power steering pump reservour. Also the amount of tunning needed to get them to run like you want and the guarenteed possibilty of turbo lag (because our engines dont rev that high stock in order to spin two turbos instantly). Where as yes a blower does use the engines power to compress the air but you wont ever notice that fact because you are now pushing an extra 98-100 hp. A supercharger doesnt create as nearly as much heat as a turbo so a intercooler isnt necessarly needed, less plumbing work, no oil lines, tunning is easy, and you could put one on in the driveway. so In my opinion better for stock again my opinoin. Turbos are better for high end setups but for a DD where you arent trying to spend an extra grand or so on the tunning and the intercooler and the new exhaust setup and the new oil lines and the new heads that youll have to buy because your turbos surged up to 20 psi on there own. Bolt a blower.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes this is true but you are forgeting the fact that those two turbos will need oil from your engine, the heat that they will create while spinning will make an intercooler necessary to make them effeicently run and create boost, like said before there is a large amount of plumbing work needing to be done to reroot that new induction air from those two turbos to your engine intake, spit out the used exhaust gas, and the blow off valves with in that setup would be in your steeing shaft and blasting air onto your power steering pump reservour. Also the amount of tunning needed to get them to run like you want and the guarenteed possibilty of turbo lag (because our engines dont rev that high stock in order to spin two turbos instantly). Where as yes a blower does use the engines power to compress the air but you wont ever notice that fact because you are now pushing an extra 98-100 hp. A supercharger doesnt create as nearly as much heat as a turbo so a intercooler isnt necessarly needed, less plumbing work, no oil lines, tunning is easy, and you could put one on in the driveway. so In my opinion better for stock again my opinoin. Turbos are better for high end setups but for a DD where you arent trying to spend an extra grand or so on the tunning and the intercooler and the new exhaust setup and the new oil lines and the new heads that youll have to buy because your turbos surged up to 20 psi on there own. Bolt a blower.

While the heat generated by a turbo is often greater than that generated by a supercharger, superchargers are not exempt from needing some form of charge cooling. Many screw type utilize an aftercooler sandwiched between the blower and the intake for this purpose, which still would need to be plumbed to a heat exchanger somewhere else in the truck. Centrifugal will use a turbo style ATA or ATW cooler to keep IAT's in a safe range. The bottom line is that you are compressing air, and will generate heat regardless of the means. Yes you CAN run an extremely low pressure supercharger setup without charge cooling, but it will not be nearly as efficient as one with charge cooling.

Turbo lag is not guaranteed and is in fact nearly nonexistent with properly sized turbos. Turbine and compressor design is light years ahead of where it was ten or fifteen years ago, and with proper intake, cam, and tune can be as fluid and linear as a large NA engine. Granted max effort setups still (and will almost always) hit like Thor's hammer, but a properly built DD can be as far from the laggy, peaky setups of yor as one can achieve.

Tuning is NOT easy, and will never be easy with an engine and injection setup that was never designed for boost. I'm sure that a plug n play supercharger kit can still be found, used, somewhere out there. Last I checked, though, none of the major manufacturers (whipple, vortech, magnacharger, procharger, kenne bell) still make a kit for our trucks that one can buy new. So if you want a supercharged setup, either dig up a used kit off of somebody and hope that it's complete and still supported (parts availability can be tough) or build your own. In that case, custom tuning IS the name of the game. And for a lot of the vortec trucks, that means a PCM change a la 0411, if you wish to do your own tuning.

And as Aloicius said, you WILL run out of fuel with nearly any forced induction setup that you choose. You'll need upgraded injectors and FPR at the very least, if not a new pump.

So before you choose anything, consider the costs, research your options, and PLEASE do not go with the cheapest thing out there. You get what you pay for, and with a kit like that you are asking for a headache, a scattered engine, or both.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
haha i wasnt actually considering a twin turbo setup i was just cruising ebay and came across it so i thought i could spark a good thread and sure enough I did! haha love this forum thanks for all the input guys but Aloicious I think I am gonna eventually try doing my own tuning and hopefully sometime down the line get a supercharger!

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Twin Turbo......SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!!!!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the heat generated by a turbo is often greater than that generated by a supercharger, superchargers are not exempt from needing some form of charge cooling. Many screw type utilize an aftercooler sandwiched between the blower and the intake for this purpose, which still would need to be plumbed to a heat exchanger somewhere else in the truck. Centrifugal will use a turbo style ATA or ATW cooler to keep IAT's in a safe range. The bottom line is that you are compressing air, and will generate heat regardless of the means. Yes you CAN run an extremely low pressure supercharger setup without charge cooling, but it will not be nearly as efficient as one with charge cooling.

Turbo lag is not guaranteed and is in fact nearly nonexistent with properly sized turbos. Turbine and compressor design is light years ahead of where it was ten or fifteen years ago, and with proper intake, cam, and tune can be as fluid and linear as a large NA engine. Granted max effort setups still (and will almost always) hit like Thor's hammer, but a properly built DD can be as far from the laggy, peaky setups of yor as one can achieve.

Tuning is NOT easy, and will never be easy with an engine and injection setup that was never designed for boost. I'm sure that a plug n play supercharger kit can still be found, used, somewhere out there. Last I checked, though, none of the major manufacturers (whipple, vortech, magnacharger, procharger, kenne bell) still make a kit for our trucks that one can buy new. So if you want a supercharged setup, either dig up a used kit off of somebody and hope that it's complete and still supported (parts availability can be tough) or build your own. In that case, custom tuning IS the name of the game. And for a lot of the vortec trucks, that means a PCM change a la 0411, if you wish to do your own tuning.

And as Aloicius said, you WILL run out of fuel with nearly any forced induction setup that you choose. You'll need upgraded injectors and FPR at the very least, if not a new pump.

So before you choose anything, consider the costs, research your options, and PLEASE do not go with the cheapest thing out there. You get what you pay for, and with a kit like that you are asking for a headache, a scattered engine, or both.

+1 this is all spot on, good post.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
alot of supercargers use oil lines, and have alot of plumbling,