5.7 Vortec missfire issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum but not new to wrenches or Chevy trucks.
I recently replaced the engine, mostly because I can and I want to be able to get 20 more years out of my 20 year old truck. This is a 2000 heavy duty 2500 with the 5.7 and 4L80.

While I was at it I replaced the distributor, cap rotor, plugs, wires, injectors (MPFI), knock sensor, crank sensor. Everything is primed/painted and pretty. I also have 3 other trucks with the same drivetrain that I have already done the same engine replacement on with no issues.

Here's my issue, even though there are no codes set or CEL I have a seemingly random misfire at around 2100 RPM or so when under a light load (up a hill).
I have a scan tool and here is what I have determined:
the misfires are almost all in the front half of the engine
cylinder number 2 seems to be the worst offender most of the time, but it changes.

What I have checked/done:
valves all readjusted
cam sensor timing set to 0*
O2 sensors cycling rich/lean
TPS reading smoothly from 0-100% throttle
swapped spark plugs
swapped plug wires/distributor cap
swapped injector assembly with an old one
swapped coil, module, map, maf sensors with ones from my other truck
swapped egr valve with an old one

I am running out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.
Anyone know if the cam sensor could cause this?
what about the coil, does it need a good mounting ground? I plugged another one in next to it to test and it ran/test drove the same.

CKVortec

Reaction score
Have you tested for gasket leaking or cracked head?
I did a cooling system pressure test and it held 15 pounds overnight. New long block, so not much chance of cracked heads/block or gasket issues. It idles fine and runs great most of the time, just a few misfires under light load at mid throttle. not enough to set a code.

I think my next step will be a compression test just to be sure.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good pressure. Compression test should tell you how all the cylinders are reacting. I know some caps can be cheaply made. And cause a random misfire. And also depending on the brand of your distributor. But I don't think that's your issue. What kind of plugs did you go with? And did you replace the wires

CKVortec

Reaction score
Good pressure. Compression test should tell you how all the cylinders are reacting. I know some caps can be cheaply made. And cause a random misfire. And also depending on the brand of your distributor. But I don't think that's your issue. What kind of plugs did you go with? And did you replace the wires
From my first post:
I swapped plugs with no change
I swapped plug wires with no change
I swapped dist cap with no change

I went with delco OEM plugs after deciding it must not like the platinum plugs I put in, no change.
Food for thought, almost all of the misses are coming from cylinders 1-4, so the front half of the engine. Also the front half of the injector assembly/wiring plug, also the longest plug wires.

CKVortec

Reaction score
Besides that work. Have you done any work on the fuel injectors?
back to my first post again and to clarify a little, when I installed the new long block I replaced the old central fuel injector assembly with a new multi port assembly. to troubleshoot the misfire I replaced the whole spider again with a crusty one I had on the shelf, also multi port. Also no change.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
back to my first post again and to clarify a little, when I installed the new long block I replaced the old central fuel injector assembly with a new multi port assembly. to troubleshoot the misfire I replaced the whole spider again with a crusty one I had on the shelf, also multi port. Also no change.

My bad. Just had an issue like this on mine and I think the guy who swapped my injectors crossed 2 legs to the wrong cylinder