5.7 TBI Rebuild "chip" question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrazyDave

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used 350 engine for my truck. My question is this: At what point would I need to change the chip in my computer? what are the reasons someone would upgrade the chip? The build is really nothing extreme. I plan on using the edelbrock performer TBI Intake. The performer plus cam kit. Stock heads, stock throttle body, cold air intake. I just want to boost the OE a little while maintaining MPG.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You would need a different chip i.e. tune to realize the benefits of your mods.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will have to get a chip done up with the intake and cam. I have the edlebrock intake, comp cam xe249 (close to RV cam), stock tbi with ultimate tbi mods done, adpr & exhaust. I am running a chip from tbichips.com, on the stock chip it runs like crap, cuts out and pops.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will have to get a chip done up with the intake and cam. I have the edlebrock intake, comp cam xe249 (close to RV cam), stock tbi with ultimate tbi mods done, adpr & exhaust. I am running a chip from tbichips.com, on the stock chip it runs like crap, cuts out and pops.

how did you like the "increase" in power? better low end?
I'm planning on something similar, might have to go carb intake cause i plan on running vortec heads with the XE249 cam.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently purchased a used 350 engine for my truck. My question is this: At what point would I need to change the chip in my computer? what are the reasons someone would upgrade the chip? The build is really nothing extreme. I plan on using the edelbrock performer TBI Intake. The performer plus cam kit. Stock heads, stock throttle body, cold air intake. I just want to boost the OE a little while maintaining MPG.

If you look on tbichips.com you can find tons of info on there or email Brian @ [email protected] he can give you suggestions on what you want to do with your truck.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how did you like the "increase" in power? better low end?
I'm planning on something similar, might have to go carb intake cause i plan on running vortec heads with the XE249 cam.
The gains were good, deffent seat of the pants increase. It would be a good gain if done all at once, I did the intake and chip, then cam few months later, then the throttle body mods. Imo very similar gains to as going from 3.73 gears to 4.56 gears with 35" tires. It just drove down the road much easier, even gainned 1 or 2 mpg.
If I were to do it again I think I would go with a little more aggressive cam but all and all it worked real good with the 35's and tune matched everything well with no running problems.

CrazyDave

Reaction score
There is definitely a lot of information on that site. Thanks again. I'm going back to the drawing board and re-thinking some of the mods. Based on some of the recommendations from that site. How much did your chip set you back?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
a custom chip is alot better than a jet preset one so to speak but thats my opinion. i borrowed my friends jet and it woke up the truck in stock form but did no justice after my heads cam intake compression bump rebuild. my firend tuned me a custom chip until i could learn to do all the fine tuning myself and its a huuuge step over the jet one with the built motor.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score