4wd wont disengage need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Yeah... looks like your rearend might be the problem... :lol:

I think you might be right.....hahaha

Had basically the same thing happen twice to my old truck, both times left me stranded. Believe me you, there were some choice words said when the second one blew up. It had the bolt back out that holds that main pin in place which holds your spider gears (I don't remember the technical terms for it). Pin dropped down...and didn't exactly do my carrier any favours. First one was just the good old pinion bearing grenade. Pinion ended up lodged in the middle of the carrier.

I really like my 3/4 ton, and not having to worry about dinky rear ends.

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear the factory eaton lockers arent very good in these trucks thats why alotta guy switch to posi anyone got any good sites i could get gears and posi- locker from was looking at some on ebay seen some nice ones

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
They're pretty expensive, but are a good choice. And you are correct, factory G80s, especially in 10-bolts, are not reliable.
I don't know any sites off hand but I'll do a little digging for ya.

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found a setup for $535 with posi and 4.10s and rebuild kit is that a good deal thank also for digging up info

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok guys tuff choice new rear end stock gears $1150, or rebuild with good stuff or junkyard rear?

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
14 bolt carrier difference

If you decide to go with a 14 bolt, there are two different carriers. One supports the 4.10 and numerically lower gears and the other supports 4.56 and higher. So before you just buy one, make you have a gear ratio set in your mind. If you decide on 4.10 you could later change to 3.73 gears but not up to 4.56 without changing the whole axle.

Food for thought.

Just found that there aftermarket "G2" brand gear sets, that are made in varying ratios, made for either axle carrier. So what I stated above, only applies to all stock components.

Last edited:

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you decide to go with a 14 bolt, there are two different carriers. One supports the 4.10 and numerically lower gears and the other supports 4.56 and higher. So before you just buy one, make you have a gear ratio set in your mind. If you decide on 4.10 you could later change to 3.73 gears but not up to 4.56 without changing the whole axle.

Food for thought.

Just found that there aftermarket "G2" brand gear sets, that are made in varying ratios, made for either axle carrier. So what I stated above, only applies to all stock components.

thanks for the info