4wd wont disengage need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today on my way home from work truck just got stiff and automaticly kicked in to 4wd and wont disengage need help asap

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drive shaft spinning slowly grinding sound in the rear end truck wont move think rear end is gone what u guys think?

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
So, the rear driveshaft is spinning, but the truck isn't moving?
If that's the case, you are correct, something let go in the rear end. Sorry to hear that, it's a common problem (I'm assuming you have a 10 bolt rear). I've had two go in a few months.
Open up the cover, and see how bad the carnage is. Might be salvageable.

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That what i was gonna do was take the diff cover off to see how bad it is what are the chances i will need a whole new rear end? And as i tried to shift into drive i heard a bang. And i will be running my 24s again in the summer what are some good aftermarket gears to buy? Thanks

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
That what i was gonna do was take the diff cover off to see how bad it is what are the chances i will need a whole new rear end? And as i tried to shift into drive i heard a bang. And i will be running my 24s again in the summer what are some good aftermarket gears to buy? Thanks

Go to the 14 bolt :imo: Good time to go for it.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
much more durable... I think it is pretty straight forward. I don't know everything about them, but I think it is a direct swap.

HOWEVER- most 14 bolts are out of heavier trucks, so unless you want to ride on 8 lug rims you'll have to do a hub swap which involves a few parts.

Hopefully someone who knows more about it will step in and help here as this isn't my field of expertise...

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im pretty sure you can find a 6 lug 14 bolt out of a 1500hd,,, hard to find,, my 92 had it,,,

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will be on the hunt for one dont wanna keep breaking rear ends is it a good idea to get bigger gear ratios?