4wd wont disengage need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im tryin to release the drive shaft from the rear diff to put the new one in and the drive shaft will not come loose

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
4 bolts holding 2 straps in place that hold your u-joint to the yoke. Remove those, insert prybar between u-joint and pinion nut and pry away, it should come pretty easily. A hammer might help too.

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i just had a heck of a time getting the one off of a parts truck i just bought,,, used a crow bar,, and tapped the drive shafted with a hammer,,, be careful tho not to harm the drive shaft

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
anyone know how to release the parking brake cable? got the diff in no just gotta do the brakes

Tricky's_Limitedhoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man Blue, didn't know you were down, just read whole thread. My rear end went last summer, second time since new, 2006, 2012, and thank you warranty, but the job would have cost a stack, and the guy that did it the second time is top notch in Lansing IL, Trans Pro. He rebuilds them and work on mostly race cars, he be ldown at Route 66.

Sent from a Phone Booth using Tapatalk

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea i was only down for a couple weeks i just brought a whole rear end from the bone yard i was gonna let a shop put a new one in but they was like $1700 i was like forget that did it myself and saved a ton only $160 for the rear end and did it by myself in a day and couple days later did the brakes its was hella cold lol. did u ever go to the paint guy?

Tricky's_Limitedhoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeap. Redo whole truck for 3K and saw a few cars inside that he charged that price for, not bad at all for the work he is going to put into it, good price since he does business with my cousin.

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeap. Redo whole truck for 3K and saw a few cars inside that he charged that price for, not bad at all for the work he is going to put into it, good price since he does business with my cousin.

not bad id pay that for a quality paint job ill have to go talk to him buying a daily driver so i can put some serious work into the hoe