4L80E Leaking around pan gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I may sound like a newbie, and I am to the 4L80E transmission but wanted to share my finding to perhaps save someone else a headache. I recently changed the fluid and filter in my 4L80E and have been having a loss of fluid since then. It was not leaking before. I suspected the gasket since it seemed to be a very thin rubber that was a PITA to keep in place. I almost went back to the old valve cover trick of using a couple of pieces of thread through the bolt holes which you snipped and pulled out after the cover was in place. I opted for a very thin coat of adhesive which I allowed to become tacky before pressing the gasket in place. I was careful to keep any from seeping inside.
I removed the pan again and cleaned everything once more and installed a new filter and a reusable rubber gasket. This time I checked each bolt length and found that I had 3 different length bolts. I had not seen this mentioned in any of the transmission fluid change threads that I had read and don't know if mine was an anomaly or not.
I put the shortest at the rear, the longest on the shift linkage bracket and the rest in the other locations. Knock on wood, it looks to be holding fluid just fine.
At a casual glance I had not noticed the different bolt lengths the first time.