4l60e to 4l80e conversion article from Four Wheeler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel Brown

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in this swap dont let there price tag scare you. It can be done ALOT cheaper and you do NOT need to buy alot of that parts that they did. In fact you do NOT even need to buy the jumper harness you can EASILLY Modify your factory harness to plug directly to the 80E. I have my Own write up on this swap if anyone is interested I will bring it over here.
I am thinking about it seriously. I have a 1995 that was a 4l60e.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've spent lots and lots of moneys on 4L60E's and built 4L60E's.
18+ transmissions in 2 years. We tried everything. Think about how much ATF that was....

Swapped in a junkyard 4L80E with a shift kit and lasted 250,000 miles. It's still runnin strong.

The gear ratios are one of the reasons the 4L60E has issues I believe. The ratio spread from 1st to 2nd puts it in a bind.
I really like the gear ratios of the 4L80E for towing, cruising, and racing.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've spent lots and lots of moneys on 4L60E's and built 4L60E's.
18+ transmissions in 2 years. We tried everything. Think about how much ATF that was....

Swapped in a junkyard 4L80E with a shift kit and lasted 250,000 miles. It's still runnin strong.

The gear ratios are one of the reasons the 4L60E has issues I believe. The ratio spread from 1st to 2nd puts it in a bind.
I really like the gear ratios of the 4L80E for towing, cruising, and racing.

I still find it amazing at the hit-or-miss luck of the 60e transmissions. I'm not knocking or doubting you, it's just amazing how some people can go 200k+ on a stock trans while beating the snot out of it, while others cant even make it to 80k while driving it nice. People have them rebuilt and swear by them and never have an issue, and then people have them rebuilt with premium parts and have them not last 5k. I have about 4k on mine with no issues so far. This isn't to say that mine won't take a crap at any time, since I do drive it hard when I take the truck out once or twice per month.

It's just crazy to think that ALL of the HD/performance parts that have been created to beef up these transmissions still don't guarantee any more than what seems like a 50/50 chance of having a reliable transmission that will hold up to any decent amount of power/abuse.

And then you have people who swap the 80E in with a shift kit and can run 500+hp and not have any issues. Transmissions sure are wierd! LOL

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still find it amazing at the hit-or-miss luck of the 60e transmissions. I'm not knocking or doubting you, it's just amazing how some people can go 200k+ on a stock trans while beating the snot out of it, while others cant even make it to 80k while driving it nice. People have them rebuilt and swear by them and never have an issue, and then people have them rebuilt with premium parts and have them not last 5k. I have about 4k on mine with no issues so far. This isn't to say that mine won't take a crap at any time, since I do drive it hard when I take the truck out once or twice per month.

It's just crazy to think that ALL of the HD/performance parts that have been created to beef up these transmissions still don't guarantee any more than what seems like a 50/50 chance of having a reliable transmission that will hold up to any decent amount of power/abuse.

And then you have people who swap the 80E in with a shift kit and can run 500+hp and not have any issues. Transmissions sure are wierd! LOL
Oh I agree.
The 4L60E I have in my 7000# z71 tahoe behind a cammed LQ4 has been a trooper. It was built by some local guy for my buddy's 2wd.

I swapped the output shaft for a 4wd and put some new clutchs in it. Been rocking along for 130k miles now. But it shifts stupid hard and I have 100% torque management in the tune and a Trucool 40K cooler. So it runs cool and shifts hard.

It might give out tomorrow hauling the trailer but I have a fresh 4l80e waiting to go in. So I doubt it ever gives me any problems haha. Reverse psychology....

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also we consider automatic transmissions to run on black magic and voodoo......

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I agree.
The 4L60E I have in my 7000# z71 tahoe behind a cammed LQ4 has been a trooper. It was built by some local guy for my buddy's 2wd.

I swapped the output shaft for a 4wd and put some new clutchs in it. Been rocking along for 130k miles now. But it shifts stupid hard and I have 100% torque management in the tune and a Trucool 40K cooler. So it runs cool and shifts hard.

It might give out tomorrow hauling the trailer but I have a fresh 4l80e waiting to go in. So I doubt it ever gives me any problems haha. Reverse psychology....

:Big Laugh::Big Laugh: This is probably the funniest thing I'll read all day! LMAO

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:Big Laugh::Big Laugh: This is probably the funniest thing I'll read all day! LMAO
Ha its true tho.
Fluid still looks and smells good. It runs cool and still shifts firm. No tell tale signs yet of trouble on the horizon...