4l60e to 4l80e conversion article from Four Wheeler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not beef up the 4L60 and keep those great gear ratios?

I think they are terrible ratios myself, especially the 1-2 gap. The 4L80E is a much better trans and accelerates better than a 60E once rolling 20+ mph. Compared to beefing up a 4L60E it would be better spent in a 4L80E, IMO. I really want to build a 2.96 or 2.75 low gear (1.57 2nd gear) 4L85E. Then again I run a low rear gear and probably do not need that much more of a 1st gear either.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had hoped to find this information for a 95 TBI 2wd. Very easy to find this info on newer trucks. But for the old 95 all I find are dead links. So which year 4l80e can I use and what needs to be done to the wiring and computer in this old of truck? Obviously the cross member and drive shaft need modified. Just wondering about the electrical. I also know some had different trans cooler lines so what is the best option for that as well?

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had hoped to find this information for a 95 TBI 2wd. Very easy to find this info on newer trucks. But for the old 95 all I find are dead links. So which year 4l80e can I use and what needs to be done to the wiring and computer in this old of truck? Obviously the cross member and drive shaft need modified. Just wondering about the electrical. I also know some had different trans cooler lines so what is the best option for that as well?
I wish i could help. All of the ones I've done have been behind a LS engine.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I will post this outside this sticky so It will will get spotted easier.

K1500 hd

Reaction score
Why not beef up the 4L60 and keep those great gear ratios?
The 60 is basically a car trans. The weight of the truck just makes it hard on the clutches in the trans. The 60 is capable of holding up to the weight of the truck. I haul a lot,4x4 and I have 33’s that’s why an 80 is the route I’m going. The 80 has one of the weak point stock that is 3rd gear which can be fixed by duel feeding 3rd which involves a lil bit of mods in the valve body because 3rd uses the smallest clutch pack, if I’m understanding the how the tran operates right

AFZ1320

Reaction score
The 60 is basically a car trans. The weight of the truck just makes it hard on the clutches in the trans. The 60 is capable of holding up to the weight of the truck. I haul a lot,4x4 and I have 33’s that’s why an 80 is the route I’m going. The 80 has one of the weak point stock that is 3rd gear which can be fixed by duel feeding 3rd which involves a lil bit of mods in the valve body because 3rd uses the smallest clutch pack, if I’m understanding the how the tran operates right
The 60 is a POS even in a warmed over Camaro.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This should be unstuck. The links no longer work and even if they did this info is very common and easy to find for LS engines and 96 pluss.

7jiggy

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in this swap dont let there price tag scare you. It can be done ALOT cheaper and you do NOT need to buy alot of that parts that they did. In fact you do NOT even need to buy the jumper harness you can EASILLY Modify your factory harness to plug directly to the 80E. I have my Own write up on this swap if anyone is interested I will bring it over here.
I would like to read it.

Burdom13

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in this swap dont let there price tag scare you. It can be done ALOT cheaper and you do NOT need to buy alot of that parts that they did. In fact you do NOT even need to buy the jumper harness you can EASILLY Modify your factory harness to plug directly to the 80E. I have my Own write up on this swap if anyone is interested I will bring it over here.
Can you send me the link to your 60-80e swap? Debating just getting the 80 and doing the little bit more work if it’s not bad.