4L60E shift kits, rebuild kits, need opionions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so since my truck is going to be fully custom and I don't want to drive my baby in the winter salt, I'm going to rebuild the tranny for a winter project. It is a 4L60E 4 speed with electronic overdrive, out of a 98. I want to appologize because there are going to be multiple questions to this one thread.

My first question, are rebuilding these transmissions difficult? Ive heard opionions from both ends.

As far as rebuild kits, what brand is the best for my tranny? What's the differences in the kits?

Shift kits, what do they do? What's pro's & cons for them?

What is a "vette servo"? What is the purpose in installing this component in a tranny?

Shift kits vs Tunes? (Black Bear, etc?)

I want a higher performing transmission. My truck is going to be a high performance vehicle (someday). What can I expect to gain in performance-wise. As far as a tune, Vette servo, or shift kit goes?

Okay once again, I appologize for all the questions. They have just been things on my mind that I've thought about. I needed to get them out and find answers and so the production of this thread was born.

Thanks for any helpful information.

Mr. Questioneer

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want your tranny to be able to stand up to some extra power, you're going to have to actually upgrade a few internals. You can get a few kids from a company called Monster Transmission, with different options ranging from 450 HP to over 600.

A shift kit increases the pressure of your transmission fluid, so it basically shifts your truck into gears with a lot more force and less meshing. Believe it or not, this actually can make your trans last longer. Pro's, less time between shifts, will make your truck slightly faster, can make your trans last longer. The only con really is totally dependent on your opinion. If you like firm, hard, pushing into your seat shifts, then a shift kit is only pros. If you find that annoying and uncomfortable, its a con.

I'm not 100% sure on the Vette servo myself, but I'd guess its a servo motor that has to do with shifting gears, and because its out of a performance car, it probably shifts a lot harder.

I'm personally going with the Monster-in-a-box kit from Monster Transmissions. It includes a shift kit and the vette servo with it, and its around 600$ if I remember correctly.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's just my opinion but if you have future performance in mind then swap to a 4L80E, build it and go with a Transgo HD2 shift kit and call it a day, yes you will have change some wiring and make some other changes as well but it would be so worth it.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
It's just my opinion but if you have future performance in mind then swap to a 4L80E, build it and go with a Transgo HD2 shift kit and call it a day, yes you will have change some wiring and make some other changes as well but it would be so worth it.

id agree if your future plans are performance oriented a built 4l80e would be a better swap than a 60