4L60E Rebuild. Help with parts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Ok guys, looking to rebuild my 4L60E. This is the first transmission build so I don't really know what to get and what not to get.

I'm looking for it to hold up to 400HP and 450TQ. What all should I upgrade and what are some good kits/brands to look at?

Vette Servo?

Rebuild/Upgrade kit?

Shift kit?

Torque Converter?

4L65E conversion? What's the actual difference between the 4L60 and 4L65?

I want to end up with something that will hold that power and will actually hook up when you step on it. I want that manual feel!

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Bump, getting ready to do this soon.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would do a new reverse input drum, a wide kevlar band, transgo kit, sonnex 2nd gear servo, sonnex 4th gear servo, new pressure control solenoid, beast sungear, new forward sprag, .500 reverse boost valve, and a Z-pac 3/4 friction set.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Thanks for replying Rhino. You seem to be a trans guru.

So I want to bring this up, the 4l80 vs. 4l60 debate. Is there an advantage to a 4l80 over a 4l60 when they would both have to be built anyways.

Reaction score
i rebuilt a 4l60e in a camaro and i went with a whole rebuild kit from monster transmission and it has all the upgraded parts for the trans that you could find all in one package . i never had a problem with it but i did rebuild it myself and i have herd bad things about there full rebuilt trans that they sell and crate out so my advise is get the kit and rebuild it yourself and youll be very happy with it .
here is a link with all the kits (monster in a box) that they have for the 4l60 . they also have torque converters as well . hope this helps !
http://www.monstertransmission.com/4L60E-4L65E_c_4322.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok guys, looking to rebuild my 4L60E. This is the first transmission build so I don't really know what to get and what not to get.

I'm looking for it to hold up to 400HP and 450TQ. What all should I upgrade and what are some good kits/brands to look at?

Vette Servo?

Rebuild/Upgrade kit?

Shift kit?

Torque Converter?

4L65E conversion? What's the actual difference between the 4L60 and 4L65?

I want to end up with something that will hold that power and will actually hook up when you step on it. I want that manual feel!

Reaction score
4l65 means it has 5 pinion planetaries (hence the 5 in 65) 4l60's are standard 4 pinion planetaries but are just as good. P.S. if you would like to upgrade to 5 pinion, id suggest getting the oem version nd stay away from cheap aftermarket planetaries.