4L60E Problems NEED HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
My 4L60E is screwing up, Up-shifts just fine (Manually or if i just leave it in OD or 3rd) But if i downshift while going down a hill, i can feel the transmission engage the gear i put the shifter in, but it wont hold me back, it acts like its in neutral until you give it gas.

If i leave the transmission in OD and stop at a light and stomp on it, it will still lay rubber, or if i downshift to 1st and stop it will also lay rubber.

ATF is Fresh, just had a flush last Monday, It still looks new, no burning smell, and is all topped up.

Any ideas guys?

Also should add that im using a Holley TPS kit on my 670 Carb, So no more tbi, have been running this same setup for the last 2 months with NO problems.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Overrun clutches are fried or the input sprag assembly/hub is shot. You can drop the pan to check for debris and that will tell you. No hard debris means it's the overrun clutch.

Not a HUGE problem but it should be fixed soon. You're going to be paying for the transmission to be torn apart anyway so it's best to have it rebuilt. FYI manually downshifting to use 3rd gear as an engine brake is a BAD idea. There are only 2 overrun clutches in the input drum and the stress of coupling the engine speed to the wheel speed is what kills them. It's best to either start out in 3rd or just drag the brakes on a long downhill grade. You aren't going to burn them up.

Last edited:

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Meh. Not a fan of TCI crap. Summit sells a basic overhaul kit for like $180. Unless the transmission has 300K miles on it and is worn out completely, you'd be fine with that.

Clutch1819

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine has been rebuilt. has heavy duty towing/offroad clutches and a b&m shift improver kit. pull it down in 1st and it still shifts like its in drive.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Not really such a thing as "heavy duty" clutches. They're all pretty much the same/perform the same. You're just as likely to burn up a transmission built with fiber clutches as one built with cheap paper ones. It's all in how it's driven and set up.

As for your problem, it will "panic shift" to 2nd if you put the selector in 1st and romp on it. If it shifts like it's in D though there is an issue.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Not really such a thing as "heavy duty" clutches. They're all pretty much the same/perform the same. You're just as likely to burn up a transmission built with fiber clutches as one built with cheap paper ones. It's all in how it's driven and set up.

As for your problem, it will "panic shift" to 2nd if you put the selector in 1st and romp on it. If it shifts like it's in D though there is an issue.

I was just gonna say, that doesnt seem right.

Im thinking i should just throw in the TH400 thats in my shed, i even have a high stall for it.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Don't. Get a junkyard 4L60 or rebuild yours. 3 speed transmissions are a joke.

lance

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Monster transmission's are having a sale on there tranny's an you don't have to pay for shipping i'm looking at there 4l60e monster which can handel up to 500 hp I think out the door for around 1,300 including the tq converter with a warrenty.