4L60E Online Order Recs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FA31

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve looked at Gearstar & damn they’re pricey.

Who else would y’all recommend ordering a 4L60E from?

This is for a 99 2 Door Tahoe 4x4.

I don’t drive it hard, engine is stock and will stay that way. I’m never gonna take it off-roading. Biggest threat it will face is Alabama summer heat & driving up and down a lot hills, albeit paved ones.

Just want a dependable tranny for a good price.

I’d pay for a 4L80 but I can’t do the swap myself & don’t know who around Alabama could.

Thanks for any help.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I don’t drive it hard, engine is stock and will stay that way. I’m never gonna take it off-roading. Biggest threat it will face is Alabama summer heat & driving up and down a lot hills, albeit paved ones.

I’d pay for a 4L80 but I can’t do the swap myself & don’t know who around Alabama could.

Thanks for any help.
Pull one from a junk yard?
When it blows....IF it blows. Pull another one for a few hundred bucks.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for any help.
Have it rebuilt locally or spend a few bucks on tools, the ATSG manual and grab a junkyard transmission and perform the rebuild yourself, assuming you can set aside the time to learn...You'll spend less or the same on tools as you would on labor for someone else to go through it.

You can leverage my 4L60E YT playlist to help you with the procedures, parts selection, etc. I have more info in my 4L60E thread as well...

FA31

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have it rebuilt locally or spend a few bucks on tools, the ATSG manual and grab a junkyard transmission and perform the rebuild yourself, assuming you can set aside the time to learn...You'll spend less or the same on tools as you would on labor for someone else to go through it.

You can leverage my 4L60E YT playlist to help you with the procedures, parts selection, etc. I have more info in my 4L60E thread as well...
First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I could figure it out, time and a place to do it, are my biggest issues.

I now have two of the 2 Door Hoes, I know it will be useful to learn myself.

I want to learn how to do it.

Your videos or your thread, do they have recs for upgrading weak points and what to get?

I’m handy, I’ve been around cars, but I don’t really know squat about tranny internals. I’m so immature I just snickered at that last sentence.

Like 5 gear planetary gears, hardened sun shell, Corvette servos, etc?

I know you have to know one mod might require a complementing mod, but don’t know what they are.

I know a few of those things, would have no clue what to order to build one myself though. If we were talking about building an AR, I can close my eyes and do it & spit out a parts list for a variety of builds…. Of course, they’re very easy to do.

I think I am going to try and do it myself though. A friend has all the tools, he used to build transmisssions at his own shop. He’s 80 years old now, I may drag him out and make him help me some.

He retired and closed his shop in 96, so he didn’t do many 4L60E’s. He already told me, he’s old, it’s been a long time, and he doesn’t recall the modifications he would make to them nor does he know the latest info.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you don’t mind driving a few hours, I can recommend someone on the Mississippi coast or in Columbia, TN, if you can’t find a reputable builder closer

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply.
You're welcome.
Your videos or your thread, do they have recs for upgrading weak points and what to get?
They have all that and more - read and watch though I warn you, it may feel a little like drinking from a firehose at first...That said, if you're half-way mechanically inclined, willing to learn and take your time absorbing the information, asking (good) questions and focusing on what you need to know, you'll be fine.

Take a look and post back if there's anything specific you'd like to know more about once you've began reading and watching.

FA31

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're welcome.

They have all that and more - read and watch though I warn you, it may feel a little like drinking from a firehose at first...That said, if you're half-way mechanically inclined, willing to learn and take your time absorbing the information, asking (good) questions and focusing on what you need to know, you'll be fine.

Take a look and post back if there's anything specific you'd like to know more about once you've began reading and watching.
Thank you! Between our posts I already called my older buddy and basically just told him he was gonna help me do this and it should be a much better build than what people could do back in 96. I am 1000% positive I will be back in touch.

FA31

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull one from a junk yard?
When it blows....IF it blows. Pull another one for a few hundred bucks.
How would you know if the tranny runs or not? Also, what years are compatible? I have a 96 two door that needs one now, I have a 99 2 Door that eventually will need one.

How can I find info on what would be compatible with each?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would you know if the tranny runs or not? Also, what years are compatible?
All good questions, here are the answers:

Buying used:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Compatible years for your 96 vehicle: 1996-1997.

Compatible years for the 1999, assuming it has a vortec 5.7L: 1998-2000, 298mm input shaft (has a pilot journal on the end of the shaft instead of splines that go all the way to the tip)

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How would you know if the tranny runs or not? Also, what years are compatible? I have a 96 two door that needs one now, I have a 99 2 Door that eventually will need one.

How can I find info on what would be compatible with each?
Non scientific thought here, if it's got a bunch of accident damage, it most likely drove itself to the accident scene. Lol
I believe the years are 92 and up for the 4L60e.
A quick google search should be able to tell you the years they were made.
Good that you have your friend willing to help, that's awesome. And @NickTransmissions does have awesome videos on YouTube that are chock full of great information!