4L60E Interchangability in years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ahhh I see. Thanks for that. Oh well - the transmission was only $50. plus $15 in gas to pick it up. So I guess using the upgraded parts inside the 2000 transmission paid for itself.

If I order all the parts for my 94 - clutches, seals, etc. Their overhaul kit - approx. how long does it take to rebuild the tranmission? To just install the new clutches and stuff?

Last edited:

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
http://www.oregonperformancetransmi...&Category_Code=4L60E&Product_Code=NTP-TM4L60E

http://www.oregonperformancetransmi...OD&Category_Code=4L60E&Product_Code=NTP-51810

http://www.oregonperformancetransmi...Category_Code=4L60E&Product_Code=ORE-4L60E-RB

http://www.oregonperformancetransmi...ory_Code=4L60ECON&Product_Code=ORE-4L60E-TLBX

You're welcome.

Word of advise, it's not difficult to rebuild, just take your time and lay EVERYTHING out in the sequence and orientation it came out in. Trust me. Cut a golf ball sized hole in a 5 gallon bucket to sit it on when you go to take out the output shaft, and invest in a good set of internal and external snap rings pliers and a plastic cup with a band clamp makes a great tool to shrink Teflon sealing rings if you don't have the tool to do it with. Be careful tapping in the new pump bushings. Everything else is basically self-explanatory.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
haha thanks for the links - my next question was gonna be what you would recommend for a torque converter for the truck in my sig :) (next upgrade is vortec heads this summer with the rebuilt transmission).

Edit - Just found out the transmission I thought was a 2000, is a 2002 and was bolted to a 4.8, but the guy said it was the same transmission bolted to the 5.3s. Does that change anything? I have a feeling it wont since I am still out of that range - but are the parts you mentioned before still usable in my 94 case?

Last edited:

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it were me, I would sell the 2002 transmission for a few hundred bucks and put that toward the parts for your 94 transmission. Like he said, only thing you could use is the shell, and planet assembly. And you can but the entire gear train for about 65 bucks with a updated sunshell. Great info Chris....

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it were me, I would sell the 2002 transmission for a few hundred bucks and put that toward the parts for your 94 transmission. Like he said, only thing you could use is the shell, and planet assembly. And you can but the entire gear train for about 65 bucks with a updated sunshell. Great info Chris....

I got thinking about it last night and I think this is what I am going to do. I figured even with the broken 12oclock bolt hole, is $250 a decent price to offer? The transmission and torque converter still have the factory stickers on them and they are very clean. The guy never cleaned the transmission, it was just not used that long.

Thank for the info Chris. A lot I did not know about the transmission. I was hoping they were like Lego's and you could mix and match.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I got thinking about it last night and I think this is what I am going to do. I figured even with the broken 12oclock bolt hole, is $250 a decent price to offer? The transmission and torque converter still have the factory stickers on them and they are very clean. The guy never cleaned the transmission, it was just not used that long.

Thank for the info Chris. A lot I did not know about the transmission. I was hoping they were like Lego's and you could mix and match.

I wouldn't pay more than $100. I buy them all the time in various conditions from working to broken sunshells for $75-$150.