4l60e easy and worth it mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i have a 94 chevy its two wheel drive ive put 7 trannys in it in 2 years if your going to do work to it u better take it somewhere and just let em re do the whole thing then upgrade it my truck had 234,000 miles on it when it went out the first time. to be honest though i would just drive it and not worry about it because your not having problems now theres no need in causing any because trust me you dont want them these trannys are junk from gm to begin with and its hard to totally fix the problem once you have one

reptilla

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
but what about just regular service??? filter and fluid change, shouldnt i still do that??

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
We would never do a service on a trans with over 125000 miles on it without having documented proof that the trans had been serviced prior regardless of a drain and fill, full fluid flush or a pan drop with filter change. Some times nothing will go wrong until that fluid gets changed.
Right now my land rovers fluid is probably darker than the oil in it but I am afraid to change anything because it's not broken and I don't want to push my luck.

reptilla

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok .....i have heard this theory before but wasnt sure.so i will not do any thing then,it does work smooth and no problems!

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
We would never do a service on a trans with over 125000 miles on it without having documented proof that the trans had been serviced prior regardless of a drain and fill, full fluid flush or a pan drop with filter change. Some times nothing will go wrong until that fluid gets changed.
Right now my land rovers fluid is probably darker than the oil in it but I am afraid to change anything because it's not broken and I don't want to push my luck.
thats EXACTLY want happened to me, tranny worked great behind my 350, got a fluid flush, next day the tranny no longer held me back on hills, Overrun clutches burnt up.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score

That's the most ignorant theory in existence and I'm TIRED of hearing it. By that reasoning, why bother ever changing your engine oil if nothing is wrong with it?

That myth got started by people who had a fluid change done on an already failing transmission as a last ditch effort to save it, and subsequently had a failure that was NOT due to the new fluid. I've serviced many high mileage transmissions of all types and have never seen an issue after a fluid change. If there is already an underlying problem and it fails after a fluid change, then that's coincidence. There is never, EVER a situation where preventive maintenance is a bad thing.

thats EXACTLY want happened to me, tranny worked great behind my 350, got a fluid flush, next day the tranny no longer held me back on hills, Overrun clutches burnt up.

The overrun clutches going out will have nothing to do with keeping the vehicle still. In fact that piston in the input drum is only active when the shift lever is in D21, NOT overdrive under any circumstance. You broke something else. Overrun clutches being toast will only cause a no engine braking scenario in low gears.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
As far as the whole "change/don't change the fluid" thing, I say change it. I was havin some issues shifting, changed trans fluid, and now it runs like a new truck (but I know you said it isn't having issues, still might make a difference though). Been shifting smooth for a long time. Even if older fluid DOES mask potential issues, I'd rather change the fluid, find the problem and fix the trans now, because then know I have a good trans and keep up service on it. The alternative is to keep old oil in a trans that is so fragile that changing fluid could cause issues and that just seems like a ticking timebomb....... just my $0.02.