4L60E Auxilliary Cooler Necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danpro

Reaction score
I have a 4l60e transmission with the cooling lines for the oil going into the radiator on the right side, of course, seperated from the coolant. My question is, would installing an auxilliary cooler be necessary or would the ones going into the rad suffice for cooling my tranny oil. I'm running 35s on the 3:73s and I've heard about this combo being a transmission killer, so keeping everything as cold and lubed up as possible is important to me. Thanks

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
An aux cooler will help some, but doesn't help out the hard parts inside the transmission that are rather light for the application.

Here's a video of the 3-4 clutch pressure plate flexing with only 110 psi of air pressure, imagine what that would look like under full throttle with full fluid pressure.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This tries to turn the steels and the fiber discs into a cone shape. Some people put in more frictions and steels * thinner * than the OE. While this does increase the friction area, the thinner steel plates distort easier.

Heavy trucks, big tires, more power than stock, heavy foot on the skinny pedal, or towing compounds the issue.

danpro

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys, I'll look into a cooler. Initially I wanted to regear but that was crazy expensive, much cheaper to do the cooler. Next question, should I T off the existing cooler lines to the cooler, or should i just run the existing lines straight to cooler and plug the old holes that went into rad.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys, I'll look into a cooler. Initially I wanted to regear but that was crazy expensive, much cheaper to do the cooler. Next question, should I T off the existing cooler lines to the cooler, or should i just run the existing lines straight to cooler and plug the old holes that went into rad.

Run the outlet of the rad cooler to the inlet of the aux cooler so that they are in series. This will provide additional cooling capacity and will retain the other function of the built in cooler, which is to warm the trans oil to operating temp faster during the winter, and to keep it consistent during operation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kyle

Reaction score
you want it to run throught the external first then the rad cooler... if you buy a reman trans you have to do it this way for warrenty reasons and these companies are not trying to give you any trannys for free... so theres some food for thought..

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you want it to run throught the external first then the rad cooler... if you buy a reman trans you have to do it this way for warrenty reasons and these companies are not trying to give you any trannys for free... so theres some food for thought..

Which companies would these be? Every factory aux cooler I have seen has the fluid flowing through the rad first, then to the external cooler. They would have you change the factory flow path to get a warranty?

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Which companies would these be? Every factory aux cooler I have seen has the fluid flowing through the rad first, then to the external cooler. They would have you change the factory flow path to get a warranty?

It makes sense when you think about it. Running through the cooler first to lose most heat, then back into the rad to get back just enough warmth to keep fluid at operating temps.