4L60 almost went boom, How long do I have now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clubber

Reaction score
About a week ago, I had a trans cooler line blow off and dumped all of my trans fluid out. I have a 3 yr old Finishline level 2 towing trans. I refilled it and it's running good now and I'm curious how long it will hold. It is shifting smoother now, it was kind of harsh before, so it kind of made it work better for my uses. I believe that if it was a stock trans, if would already be blowed up and that maybe all those carbon clutches and stuff saved my ass. I'm planning on running it until it dies but, just how long do you guys think this will last. If it dies anytime soon, I'll post an update to this thread but is there any chance it will just run on for a few years more? The clock is already ticking so we'll see.

Last edited:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About a week ago, I had a trans cooler line blow off and dumped all of my trans fluid out. I have a 3 yr old Finishline level 2 towing trans. I refilled it and it's running good now and I'm curious how long it will hold. It is shifting smooter now, it was kind of harsh before, so it kind of made it work better for my uses. I believe that if it was a stock trans, if would already be blowed up and that maybe all those carbon clutches and stuff saved my ass. I'm planning on running it until it dies but, just how long do you guys think this will last. If it dies anytime soon, I'll post an update to this thread but is there any chance it will just run on for a few years more? The clock is already ticking so we'll see.

Could go today, could last for years.

Sent from somewhere in MN

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine lasted 160K second one lasted 24K will see how long this last I put it on in May.

DAGEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your trans fluid after a few week's and see if it smell's burnt.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
It's impossible to guess really.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
you may never even have a problem, ive either had electronic problems, loss of fluid till failure but it was immediate, or like recenetly i had a hard part fail on me

clubber

Reaction score
Over 1000 miles now and the fluid looks (and smells) good and all is well so far.