454 SS pickup questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped instrument clusters with a 2500 with a tach.

I remember them having 12 bolt five lug.
Tach cluster swap from a somewhat rare 1991 needle cluster into a 1990 would require moving 3 wires around in the connector to the cluster.
Tach cluster swap from a 1992-1994 into anything older would require a pretty big wiring job, adding a DRAC module, and a little minor hacking to the dash plastic behind the cluster.

And as someone else already noted, they had a 14 bolt (9.5" semifloater, with small brakes compared to the 9.5 14 used in the F44 option and on "light duty" 7200lb GVWR 2500's), not a 12 bolt.

Richard

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Tach cluster swap from a somewhat rare 1991 needle cluster into a 1990 would require moving 3 wires around in the connector to the cluster.
Tach cluster swap from a 1992-1994 into anything older would require a pretty big wiring job, adding a DRAC module, and a little minor hacking to the dash plastic behind the cluster.

And as someone else already noted, they had a 14 bolt (9.5" semifloater, with small brakes compared to the 9.5 14 used in the F44 option and on "light duty" 7200lb GVWR 2500's), not a 12 bolt.

Richard

I removed the old one and made sure the new one was from the same year but from a c2500. you can also go to Dakota Digital.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I removed the old one and made sure the new one was from the same year but from a c2500. you can also go to Dakota Digital.
And the truck you did this on is -what year- because that's the issue when swapping clusters around. There are issues you run into based strictly on year model.

Richard

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
The issue is the connector in the back of the instrument cluster. If you match the connectors then its plug and play. You can also swap the connector as well.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The issue is the connector in the back of the instrument cluster. If you match the connectors then its plug and play. You can also swap the connector as well.
I'm sorry but you are very mistaken and really should take this to another thread. It's not just matching the connectors; not even close. And you didn't answer my question. So whatever..

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So answer the question - what year truck did you do this on, and with a cluster from what year truck? Educate us.

Richard

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
1993 GMC Sierra C1500 and installed a 1992 GMC Sierra K2500LD instrument cluster.
Google must have failed you.

Now answer my question. Educated?

Last edited:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Bless your heart, I had a guy like you said the same thing before I did it. It worked. You need to spend more time on the toilet with google and have plenty of TP.
EDIT: This took awhile to type so I see you answered. Swapping anything 92-94 is direct plug and play, 88-90 is as well while 91 is an oddball year. Maybe you should calm down some before spouting off that someone is wrong.

Original post before the edit:
I'm a little lost on what year you swapped to what here, but comments like that towards some of our senior members are really not appropriate. Richard is a very respectable knowledgeable person and someone I respect highly within the GMT400 community. There have been many like him who have left over time due to the overall lack of respect for eachother.

Now.

Clusters don't make any difference if they are 1500/2500/3500 in these trucks. Here is everything I've learned over the years about these clusters.

Clusters worked like this:
88-90:
- All trucks had moonie clusters.
- Offered in dummy light and full gauge version. Gas and Diesel Variants (A/T vs M/T was just a block out plate).
- DRAC integrated within the cluster.
- 85 MPH with no tach, except the 90 454SS which was 110 MPH with no tach.

91:
- Gauges offered in moonie or needle style gauges with tach.
- Gas and Diesel Variants (A/T vs M/T was just a block out plate).
- DRAC integrated within the cluster. Tach cluster with needles was a 1-year only cluster
- 85 MPH, except the 91 454SS which was 110 MPH with tach.

92-94:
- All trucks had needle style gauges.
- Both non Tach and Tach clusters offered. Gas and Diesel Variants (A/T vs M/T was just a block out plate).
- DRAC external from cluster. The cluster plug within the dash changed significantly. within the cluster.
- 85 MPH, except the 92-93 454SS which was 110 MPH with tach. 454SS cluster has warning light "Traction Active".

95:
- 1 year only cluster. All clusters have tachs. All clusters go to 5k RPM.
- Gas, Diesel, Auto, Manual variants.

96-end of GMT400 production:
- All clusters have tachs, Gas motors go to 6k RPM, diesel stays at 5k.
- Gas cluster tachs - Some show a redline, some do not. Unsure of rhyme or reason as I've seen both variants in big and smallblock trucks.
- A/T and M/T clusters differ in print due to "PRND321" and "shift from park"
- Most clusters go to 100 MPH, with some exceptions below
- Some later clusters were 110 MPH (Have yet to find rhyme/reason behind this). Somewhat uncommon. A/T only.
- 99-00 Escalade, Yukon Denali and Limited Tahoe were 120 MPH with teal backlighting and white needles. A/T only.
- Police Tahoe Packages: Both 100MPH certified and 130MPH certified clusters. Both uncommon. A/T only.​
- Later clusters have "Service 4wd" dummy light for Autotrac T-Case.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1993 GMC Sierra C1500 and installed a 1992 GMC Sierra K2500LD instrument cluster.
Google must have failed you.

Now answer my question. Educated?
Holy christ, genius. Everyone knows 92-94 are direct swappable. We're talking about OP looking at a 1990 model truck. 88-91 take considerable work to swap a 92-94 cluster into.

But you're the guy that thinks 454SS trucks came with a 12 bolt axle, so maybe you need to go google some more.

Richard

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
EDIT: This took awhile to type so I see you answered. Swapping anything 92-94 is direct plug and play, 88-90 is as well while 91 is an oddball year. Maybe you should calm down some before spouting off that someone is wrong.

Original post before the edit:
I'm a little lost on what year you swapped to what here, but comments like that towards some of our senior members are really not appropriate. Richard is a very respectable knowledgeable person and someone I respect highly within the GMT400 community. There have been many like him who have left over time due to the overall lack of respect for eachother.

Now.

Clusters don't make any difference if they are 1500/2500/3500 in these trucks. Here is everything I've learned over the years about these clusters.

Clusters worked like this:
88-90:
- All trucks had moonie clusters.
- Offered in dummy light and full gauge version. Gas and Diesel Variants (A/T vs M/T was just a block out plate).
- DRAC integrated within the cluster.
- 85 MPH with no tach, except the 90 454SS which was 110 MPH with no tach.

91:
- Gauges offered in moonie or needle style gauges with tach.
- Gas and Diesel Variants (A/T vs M/T was just a block out plate).
- DRAC integrated within the cluster. Tach cluster with needles was a 1-year only cluster
- 85 MPH, except the 91 454SS which was 110 MPH with tach.

92-94:
- All trucks had needle style gauges.
- Both non Tach and Tach clusters offered. Gas and Diesel Variants (A/T vs M/T was just a block out plate).
- DRAC external from cluster. The cluster plug within the dash changed significantly. within the cluster.
- 85 MPH, except the 92-93 454SS which was 110 MPH with tach. 454SS cluster has warning light "Traction Active".

95:
- 1 year only cluster. All clusters have tachs. All clusters go to 5k RPM.
- Gas, Diesel, Auto, Manual variants.

96-end of GMT400 production:
- All clusters have tachs, Gas motors go to 6k RPM, diesel stays at 5k.
- Gas cluster tachs - Some show a redline, some do not. Unsure of rhyme or reason as I've seen both variants in big and smallblock trucks.
- A/T and M/T clusters differ in print due to "PRND321" and "shift from park"
- Most clusters go to 100 MPH, with some exceptions below
- Some later clusters were 110 MPH (Have yet to find rhyme/reason behind this). Somewhat uncommon. A/T only.
- 99-00 Escalade, Yukon Denali and Limited Tahoe were 120 MPH with teal backlighting and white needles. A/T only.
- Police Tahoe Packages: Both 100MPH certified and 130MPH certified clusters. Both uncommon. A/T only.​
- Later clusters have "Service 4wd" dummy light for Autotrac T-Case.

This is correct. Some in the same year model had tachs and others haven't.

FYI, this was started when there was question on the ss454 and instrument clusters. I mentioned that they could be swapped. I know this cause I have done this to others. Schematics are all the same, pin layout and connectors differ.

Lastly, Just because someone has been on a forum for a long time doesn't mean he is right about everything and has to be a Equus africanus asinus about it. You don't know me, my experience, nor my technological background. Next thing I'm going to hear, you cant put two transmissions together in a truck. Yeah, I did that. I also get 19 MPG with it empty. Towed 14,000lbs with it and got 7 to 9 MPG with that load.