400 C.I. Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
I'm glad you feel that way. Being that the 406 would only cost around 1800 to build, what makes that a "unicorn" idea? What's stops me from building the motor and using everything else stock? Tune it to a safe running level and knock it around for a while. The people that built it in the article I read used 882 heads with 202 valves, stock iron intake with matching Q jet carb(from junk yard) and stock manifold. Why can't i do that for a little while?
are you not doing any maching and such? to have eagle do rods and stuff like your saying or having the work done for you itll cost more than that, machine works a good grand, youll have more than 1800 into it.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Also did you not read my post on what the used for all of that? The damn intake, carb and manifolds came from a junk yard!

yea it did but yours is also fuel injected. if they used gear drive doesnt mean you can, timing covers arent reuseable i dont think on a vortec, its composite of some sort, you said you were using a marine intake. and alot once you get into tuning you have to have the right amount of air for the right amount of fuel, otherwise you run into issues which means everything has to be tweaked with your idea of 406 cubes. the whole engine needs more! everything needs to be adjusted, redone to a point where you cna tune the engine properly which may not mean your able to use all the stock stuff. adn if you have an automatic with a 500 some lift cam youll need a stall, ad a trans to hold up to 400+ ftlbs it all adds up.