4 wheel drive swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmurphy1897

Reaction score
Right now I have a 96 single cab C1500. I've been thinking about looking for a K1500 that needs a body and possibly a motor and swapping my body and everything over. I'm just curious if anyone has done this before. Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, I'm still pretty new to the forum.

'89/'92Chevy/GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I have done it, well currently still doing it. It's easiest if you get a truck that is the same year as your truck and hopefully the same engine. That way all the wiring will be a direct swap and all you have to do is transfer over everything.

I did a 1992 body and wiring from a 305 2wd onto a 1989 chassis and 350 4x4 power train. So many differences and unseen changes that I had to do to make everything work so far and I am still not up and road legal yet. Truck runs and drives just not road legal yet.

If the truck has a floor shifter 4x4 you will need to cut the hole for it in the 2wd cab. There are a few fuses that will need to be replaced, a section of harness that needs to be transferred over for the transmission speed sensor I believe, etc.

What are you looking for more specifically in the swap?