4" and it's only level?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh S

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here. Recently bought a truck with the intent of creating what I wanted in high school. Nothing over the top, just something to cruise in. I started with a DJM 4" shackle/hanger kit. The plan was to drop rear then decide on 2" or 3" lower control arms for a 2/4 or 3/4 drop. With 4" drop complete the rear is only 1/2" lower than front. 3" definitely seems too low now. Not even certain on 2". I regret not measuring wheel center to fender trim prior to drop. As it stands rear is +/-19" from center of wheel to bottom of fender trim. Front is 19 1/2". Can anyone tell me what they've got in rear after shackle/hanger? Front after 2" LCA? 3" LCA? Thanks

1989 C1500 Regular cab, fleetside, 350

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The industry standard on drop kits for these trucks has always been 2/4, 3/4, 4/6, etc. You will still have a slight rake with those kits. If you want to stick with the 4 inch rear drop, a one inch drop spring will get you level or cut a coil. It's either a coil or half a coil I think.

Josh S

Reaction score
The industry standard on drop kits for these trucks has always been 2/4, 3/4, 4/6, etc. You will still have a slight rake with those kits. If you want to stick with the 4 inch rear drop, a one inch drop spring will get you level or cut a coil. It's either a coil or half a coil I think.
Thanks, I'm familiar with the popular drops, but this looks, though my eyes, to be what most get with 2" shackles. I'll work on posting a picture.

xjsciortino

Reaction score
What kind of cab configuration do you have? When I dropped my truck I just pulled a leaf spring and then did 3" drop coils. It appears to sit pretty level. Yes not a great idea to pull a leaf spring on something that will haul or tow much, but for a budget drop it gets the job done

xjsciortino

Reaction score
Your truck looks good. I've never done shackles and a drop hanger, but the only thing that I could think of that would cause it not drop right would be if the shackle was not put on the lowest setting or if something is being hung up, whether its the shocks that aren't allowing it to drop or suspension is in a weird spot. drive it down a bumpy road to see if it settles. My front end was all jacked up, but eventually dropped to where it needed to be by driving it and getting the springs to sit correctly in the perches. I doubt leaf springs would cause this problem, but you never know

xjsciortino

Reaction score
Also what size tire are you running now and what is the measurement from the ground (or center of the wheel) from the front and rear. I can compare it to mine, but your front end could be pretty sagged out being a 30 year old truck if the front coils were never replaced