4.3L vs 5.7L Torque Converter Stalls?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found just the opposite, much more enjoyable to drive with the higher stall. Even in something as heavy as a Suburban or Express van the 4.3 converter gave it alot better get up and go.
Perhaps I worded it strange, but I was eluding to the V6 converter being more enjoyable to drive due to the higher stall in any combo. I've even put an I6 converter behind an LQ9, it's always more fun (imo)

The 300 mm shaft and extra clutch being the upgrades...
I'm asking as I have a 99 trans and an 07 classic truck which needs one.
It gets a bit muddiier post gmt400 while and this is kinda off topic: but at some point, GM "upgraded" all 4l60e's to 4l65E specs. not sure when this occured, but a 2007 will certainly have a trans equivalent to a 4l65E, no matter what it is designated. Electrically, they are the same I believe the only change was in the planetary, not sure if any clutches were even changed.

a 99 gen 3 (5.3/4.8) transmission will be upgraded over a 1999 Gen 2 V8/V6 transmission in the form of an additional 3/4 clutch. the input shaft is also different on ALL Gen 3 transmissions, not really an upgrade just a change. All design and internal changes aside, here is something I have found to be factual: ALL 4l60E's from 1998+ with the green plug are electrically compatible. I helped install a 1999 OBS suburban trans (with the upper hole) in an 04 Silverado with a 5.3, it worked fine afterwards. You need a converter snout spacer to make a gen 2 trans work behind a gen 3, which implies that this transmission still had the 298mm input shaft despite having the upper hole.

TLDR; it will work as intended (albiet will likely be weaker, if it is a stock trans)

This sheet should help you compare what parts are in what trans: http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/lilscribbs77/gm_9l6/gm9l6010.htm

Keeping this apples to apples - the 5.3 likes to rev more, so the v6 converter is certainly a good idea for that combo.

The 5.7 and 5.3 have different characteristics.
yes, the 5.7 has much more low end grunt than a 5.3 but it will still work fine, and I would not say the V6 converter would be a 'bad' Idea behind an L31 or similar.

I'd absolutely recommend a trans cooler though.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always heard that more torque raises the stall speed of a converter, so a V6 converter behind a V8 will have a higher stall speed than it's factory application. I've never put anything other than a factory stall in any of my vehicles though.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I worded it strange, but I was eluding to the V6 converter being more enjoyable to drive due to the higher stall in any combo. I've even put an I6 converter behind an LQ9, it's always more fun (imo)

It gets a bit muddiier post gmt400 while and this is kinda off topic: but at some point, GM "upgraded" all 4l60e's to 4l65E specs. not sure when this occured, but a 2007 will certainly have a trans equivalent to a 4l65E, no matter what it is designated. Electrically, they are the same I believe the only change was in the planetary, not sure if any clutches were even changed.

a 99 gen 3 (5.3/4.8) transmission will be upgraded over a 1999 Gen 2 V8/V6 transmission in the form of an additional 3/4 clutch. the input shaft is also different on ALL Gen 3 transmissions, not really an upgrade just a change. All design and internal changes aside, here is something I have found to be factual: ALL 4l60E's from 1998+ with the green plug are electrically compatible. I helped install a 1999 OBS suburban trans (with the upper hole) in an 04 Silverado with a 5.3, it worked fine afterwards. You need a converter snout spacer to make a gen 2 trans work behind a gen 3, which implies that this transmission still had the 298mm input shaft despite having the upper hole.

TLDR; it will work as intended (albiet will likely be weaker, if it is a stock trans)

This sheet should help you compare what parts are in what trans: http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/lilscribbs77/gm_9l6/gm9l6010.htm

yes, the 5.7 has much more low end grunt than a 5.3 but it will still work fine, and I would not say the V6 converter would be a 'bad' Idea behind an L31 or similar.

I'd absolutely recommend a trans cooler though.
Thanks, that's the information I needed.
It's an 07 classic, so functionally an 06.

Agreed it's off topic, my apologies to @98chevy2500SS

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Grabbed a transmission cooler today out of a 6.5 T.D for the 97. This one is just a little bit bigger than the what the stock gassers got, here side by side comparison of my brother's transmission cooler that he got on the left and mine on the right. Hopefully that'll be enough to keep the tranny cool, lol. I also saw those diesels got an auxiliary engine oil cooler too??! Dayum!

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Grabbed a transmission cooler today out of a 6.5 T.D for the 97. This one is just a little bit bigger than the what the stock gassers got, here side by side comparison of my brother's transmission cooler that he got on the left and mine on the right. Hopefully that'll be enough to keep the tranny cool, lol. I also saw those diesels got an auxiliary engine oil cooler too??! Dayum!

The turbo cooks the oil. That trans cooler looks like the one I plucked from the 1500 Suburban in the junkyard.

Makes me wonder if it came from an 8 lugger of some kind. Was the donor a TBI-era truck? They fill the grill up.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
The turbo cooks the oil. That trans cooler looks like the one I plucked from the 1500 Suburban in the junkyard.

Makes me wonder if it came from an 8 lugger of some kind. Was the donor a TBI-era truck? They fill the grill up.

Yes it was a TBI-era truck, 94 K2500 to be exact.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this the 4.3 S10 converter y'all are talking about? I'm fixin' to buy one.