4.3l 5 speed trans/driveshaft question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 88 Cheyenne sclb the trans side yoke looks like it us nearly falling out of the trans tail shaft. It looks like it is maybe 8 inches or so short in total length. Stock height as far as I know. Is this normal. Edit... Just checked and not quite that far out but about half that.. Sorry about the scary distance I listed it has been a while since crawling under and seeing it. All other driveshafts I have seen the uni joint was closer to the end of the tail. No problems in the 2 years I've had it. Drove from Dfw to CA and back with no noise, up and down curvy roads.. And since being back this last year and half.. Just got curious about it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks pretty normal to me but it does need a new seal. The driveshaft is designed to slide in and out as the rear axles travels up and down, hence why its called a slip yoke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah knew about the seal I have one I bought when I saw the yoke the first time I crawled under it. It looks like it had throw oil in a near perfect band everywhere except the cat/muffler which has no burnt oil smell at all. Then it looked to be extended further back out. But I've slept, travelled, and had mentis interruptis since that first look... Lol