4.3 tbi wont start, need help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the truck's been sitting, bad fuel is my first guess. You say you replaced the fuel pump, but did you replace the filter as well?

First thing to check: are your injectors spraying fuel when cranking?

Second thing to check: does the gas smell okay, or does it smell funky?

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the truck's been sitting, bad fuel is my first guess. You say you replaced the fuel pump, but did you replace the filter as well?

First thing to check: are your injectors spraying fuel when cranking?

Second thing to check: does the gas smell okay, or does it smell funky?
Good point there, if it's been there for 5 years, the whole line could be contaminated. Pull the filter and blow some fuel out with compressed air, see what it looks and smells like. Either way, test with fresh gas. Did you get a look inside the tank when you replaced the pump? It's best to clean the tank when you replace the pump to prevent the same crap that caused the first one to fail getting into your new pump.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went through this myself, did you drain the old gas and replace with new? As long as it sat- that gas is no good and needs to be drained (or risk clogging up the injectors- which may already be clogged, did you clean them?). As others have said, run through the basics and see which component is missing, start there. Good luck!

Treyes

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it hasn't run for 5 years, there's likely a bit of troubleshooting to do, but start with these basics, watch some YouTube videos on how to do them properly, and be patient. Do all of the tests before you decide to change anything further. Once you do these tests you'll find an area to narrow in on and you can do more specific tests to find the component or components that have failed.

Alright i messed around with it some more and found that it was spraying gas and choking the engine but there was no spark so i looked and the sensor was burned so i replaced it and checked for spark and it started right up so then got the timing done again and now it runs as good as ever so thanks for the help now i gotta save to get it looking good too

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright i messed around with it some more and found that it was spraying gas and choking the engine but there was no spark so i looked and the sensor was burned so i replaced it and checked for spark and it started right up so then got the timing done again and now it runs as good as ever so thanks for the help now i gotta save to get it looking good too
What sensor was it that you replaced?

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are the tbi troubleshooting flow charts from the (1988) factory service manual

You must be registered for see images attach