3rd Door Stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamrbroo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just purchased a '97 K1500 extended cab for a good price. I was able to talk the seller down due to the 3rd door not opening. Now comes the troubleshooting! I was able to pull the trim off the 3rd door to expose the interior. That was an adventure since I didn't remove the rear seat :banghead:, but it can be done and without scratching anything! The door handle does work and moves both upper and lower rods, however, it won't budge. I can push on the 3rd door from the inside while opening the handle and it appears that the upper latch wants to give, but the lower latch will not budge. If it is the lower latch, I'm not certain how I would remove it to replace the latch since the 3rd door is closed.

I will note that the passenger side power door lock does not work. I can manually lock and unlock it, but the key fob and the power door lock buttons don't lock or unlock. It tries to move, and I can hear it activating inside the door, but nothing happens (not sure what the root cause of that is - but I welcome suggestions). I'm not aware of the two issues being related or somehow electrically connected, but thought I'd throw that wild idea out there just in case.

Any ideas for the lower latch and how to get it to disengage so I can figure out what has failed? Having a 3rd door is so handy and I'd love to get this knocked out.

Thanks!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Ive always had to push in and then pull out otherwise it wouldnt open

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

jamrbroo

Reaction score
Ive always had to push in and then pull out otherwise it wouldnt open

I've tried pushing in on the door with varying pressure and at different points/angles with no luck. A few 1500s I test drove had the same issue and a push would allow us to open the door. One owner told us that all 3rd doors required this push to disengage.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I've tried pushing in on the door with varying pressure and at different points/angles with no luck. A few 1500s I test drove had the same issue and a push would allow us to open the door. One owner told us that all 3rd doors required this push to disengage.

It seems like most do haha

scotttick

WHO ME?
Reaction score
I would spray some penetrating oil into the lower latch. More than likely water set up in it and rusted it causing it to seize. Give it a day or to to sit in the oil then slowly start trying to work it open.

jamrbroo

Reaction score
I would spray some penetrating oil into the lower latch. More than likely water set up in it and rusted it causing it to seize. Give it a day or to to sit in the oil then slowly start trying to work it open.

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, no luck thus far after several days of soaking. I did remove three bolts that attach to the lower latch from inside the 3rd door and that allowed the door to slightly open, but it stops on the brass part that juts up through a small opening. I've linked to a picture that shows the part.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5NVgxNjAw/z/~c8AAOxyOMdS6WE~/$_57.JPG

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Maybe you don't even have a third door! Lmao jk