383 Stroker No Oil To Most Rockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey all, I finally finished my 33 stroker build for my truck. I went to prime the oil system but I am only getting oil out of cylinders 378 at the rockers.unfortunately I already installed intake manifold so I can't pull that off to see if I have oil leaking past the lifters. Any ideas before I go in remove the intake manifold?

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
How long did you prime/spin the oil pump? Took almost five minutes for my big block to where I thought there was good oil flow to all rocker arms and springs.BTW I used a cordless 18v Ryobi drill at max speed.

Are you spinning it clockwise?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
^ what he said i stripped apart an old broekn dizzy and put it on the end of a drill and went to down for a few minutes, make sure to be comfy and cozy and just go to town, are your rockers tightened properly and not overly tight or too loose?

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^ what he said i stripped apart an old broekn dizzy and put it on the end of a drill and went to down for a few minutes, make sure to be comfy and cozy and just go to town, are your rockers tightened properly and not overly tight or too loose?

I drilled for a couple minutes only in the morning I'll try again. I tighten the rocker nuts to zero lash plus a half a turn. I have hydraulic roller lifters. I did end up pulling the intake manifold off as well and started drilling and I noticed that there was a little bit of oil coming up between the lifter and the dog bones on one or two of the lifters but not much. I suppose a little bit would be normal but not how much exact.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
did you prime the lifters before setting them? usually i just get the pushrod till it has ever so slight resistance on it and do my 1/4-half turn, then when running back them off til chatter and retighten and redo my 1/4-1/2 turn or whatever it seems to like.

bygddy

Reaction score
What are you using to prime?
Without a collar on the shaft your not going to get oil across both sides. Buy a priming tool or a cut down dist leaving the grooved collar at the bottom of the shaft.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did you prime the lifters before setting them? usually i just get the pushrod till it has ever so slight resistance on it and do my 1/4-half turn, then when running back them off til chatter and retighten and redo my 1/4-1/2 turn or whatever it seems to like.

I soaked them in oil prior to install but that was a month ago.

What are you using to prime?
Without a collar on the shaft your not going to get oil across both sides. Buy a priming tool or a cut down dist leaving the grooved collar at the bottom of the shaft.

I am using a priming tool with the collar. the same one I used when I built my big block and I had oil in less than a minute. I do notice a good amount of oil coming up between the collar but I'm not sure on how much is acceptable.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so priming it with that collar it doesnt bring anything up? is your pickup angled properly?

It does pump just not to all the rockers. I see a lot of oil coming up between the collar and the lifter valley though. My pickup is good I checked it will putty.