3500 or 4500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The transmission series is either NV3500 or NV4500. The 4500 is a heavier duty version, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. Other people on here should know way more than me lol

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Sorry Sub. That did look like kind of a trick question after rereading it. My bad.

next question: is the NV4500 a pretty good transmission? I haven’t changed fluid in it or anything. Is that something I should do?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Sorry Sub. That did look like kind of a trick question after rereading it. My bad.

next question: is the NV4500 a pretty good transmission? I haven’t changed fluid in it or anything. Is that something I should do?
From what I know the nv4500 is a pretty decent trans. They have synchronizer issues in mainly in 3rd if i remember right. They also have a issue with 5th gear but I cannot recall what it is for the life of me. They also use a special fluid and it is different then the NV3500. It is not atf of gear oil. Here is a link that gives the type of fluid and how to change it https://www.dieselhub.com/maintenance/nv4500-transmission-fluid.html
So before you change it make sure which one you have so you know which fluid to buy. Easiest way for me to tell is the 4500's bellhousing is separate from the trans where the 3500 is all one piece.