Nv3500 and 4500 differences over the years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94chevc1500

Reaction score
Hello all I am trying to see how everyone is swapping there auto trucks to manuals and I have a couple questions about the transmissions.
1. My truck is a 94 if I tried to find a manual would I have to stay in the 88-94 years or can I put a 96-99 trans in without issues? Has anyone done it?
2. As far as swapping to a stock nv3500 or 4500 is it worth the time putting into it? I have looked up all the parts to do the swap and it's cheaper then 1000 bucks aslong as the tranny's only 200 but I can't find them where I'm at... Almost like there rare? I have seen dodge came with nv4500s but can you swap bellhousings and be good to go? Thank you

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Hello all I am trying to see how everyone is swapping there auto trucks to manuals and I have a couple questions about the transmissions.
1. My truck is a 94 if I tried to find a manual would I have to stay in the 88-94 years or can I put a 96-99 trans in without issues? Has anyone done it?
2. As far as swapping to a stock nv3500 or 4500 is it worth the time putting into it? I have looked up all the parts to do the swap and it's cheaper then 1000 bucks aslong as the tranny's only 200 but I can't find them where I'm at... Almost like there rare? I have seen dodge came with nv4500s but can you swap bellhousings and be good to go? Thank you
To preface: I swapped a 95 4x4 nv4500 into my 98 k1500 that originally had a 4l60e

1. There are changes in design over the different years. 98 had an internal slave, 95 had an external. The clutch master, pedal assembly, and clutch master mounting style changed as well. 98 has a twist in master, 95 bolts on. Those are the only changes I'm aware of, but I don't recall what year they changed.

2. I love my new-to-me nv4500. Stronger than a 4l60e and has better gear ratios for my application. Plus I always wanted my truck to be a manual. It took me a couple years to find a GM 4x4 nv4500, they get snatched up quick so you have to be quicker. Saw one go up on craigslist and drove a total of 5 hours the next day after work to get it.

2.5 The dodge nv4500s have a different input shaft. And you'll have to get an adapter bellhousing. I'm sure it can be done, but I've yet to see anyone do it.

Your best bet would be to find a GM transmission first; ideally with the stock bell housing, inspection plate, and pedal bracket. (Remember the 4x4 and 2wd transmissions are different, buy the right one or spend the money to convert it). The output shaft spline count is also different than the light duty automatics (4l60e/700r4). If yours is 4x4 you'll need to swap the input shaft on the transfer case to a 23 spline or buy the transfer case that was on the nv4500/nv3500. Once you have all that sorted buy all the supporting pieces for the model year the tranny came out of (clutch master/slave, clutch kit, flywheel, etc.). My truck for example is a 98, but every single transmission-related part is meant for a 95. I made an excel spreadsheet of everything I needed before buying anything, I recommend you do the same

Feel free to ask me any other questions, I can spost a parts list from my swap as well. Just remember that the parts are tailored for my swap, yours may need different part numbers depending on model years.