350 Vortec uppper end to-do list:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got my 350 torn down to the block, and I'm going to rebuild it in phases due to restrictions time and funding. At first I was going to just have the heads done and then put it all back together, but it makes sense to me to go ahead and replace some other parts while I'm at it. the following is my to-do list and the order in which I will be doing it, but I'm wondering if there are some other things I SHOULD do that I might be missing.

Phase 1:

Timing Chain Set
Timing Chain Cover
Water Pump

Phase 2:

Heads <--- Rebuilt
Intake
All head, intake, exhaust manifold, and exhaust flange bolts/studs/nuts will be replaced with new ones.
Thermostat
Distributor <--- New
Drive belt

Phase 3:

Oil Pan Gasket
Oil Filter
Oil Pump <--- New HV unit
Transmission Pan Gasket
Transmission Filter

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking about it since I'm going to have the heads rebuilt, but couldn't make up my mind. As soon as I get this running and out of the shop I plan to start building a replacement engine to swap out sometime next year, so I sort of decided against any performance parts for this engine. I'm still looking at it though and researching what will work with stock heads and what wont.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
depending on mileage and wear/tear on engine even just a stock replacement cam would help

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would put a small cam in it just for chits and grins... call comp cams and have them spec one out for you.. if the heads are at the shop for a rebuild upgrade the springs to some better beehives then do some port clean up on them.. well worth the cash on the vortec heads.. im not saying a full port job just some clean up around the valves and the casting slag in the runners..

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have decided to go ahead and add a cam to the list. When I take the heads to the re-builder's shop I'm going to talk to the guys there about some possibilities. I figure they can work up a nice yet mild combo for me.

This thing is starting to come down to a money VS time issue. There are a lot of things that have to be done to get this truck rolling in the time frame I'm shooting for and that's conflicting with some of the things I want to do. On the new engine I'll start sometime early next year things will be a little different. I'll be shooting for about 400 HP.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd not worry about the belt, since you can easily replace it down the road, but if you are, get a new tensioner and pullies too.

I'd closely check the condition of poppet injectors and if you see one leaking, replace the assembly with the updated one that uses actual injectors instead of poppets.

How much are your heads going to cost to rebuild? You can pick up some Vortec heads from Summit that are 67cc's, fully dressed, and are rated to .520 lift. $310 a piece.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The belt was thrashed so it's gotta be replaces, and last night I noticed that the idler pulley has a bad bearing too. I have already replaced the fuel injection before I realized I was going to have to rebuild the upper end. The heads are only going to cost $350 for the set to have them rebuilt.

I'm going to spend tomorrow morning running taps through all the bolt holes to clean them out and freshen up the threads and saw off a few heads off some of the old head bolts to make me some studs to screw into the block to aid head and intake alignment when I get ready to stick those back on.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
It's a good idea to do a cam since you're having the heads done. Ask them what valve springs they reccomend for the cam and have them put those in. Also, don't forget to get new lifters. There is no such thing as a good set of used lifters. The lifters shape and profile to the cam shortly after the engine is started for the first time.