350 Vortec Headers and exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I don’t get how or why this is such a mystery for these trucks. And I’m honestly surprised that there isn’t some kind of exhaust sticky thread by now. But I guess it’s just not as common as I’d like to think that it is.

There's an entire exhaust subforum. You could try looking/posting there instead.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, in those pics above, everything is just tacked together. Those "pretty" welds are from the factory at Jones Exhaust. My welding looks like a pile of worms shriveled and died.
Got a pic of my welding.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just kidding! I saw that on FB this morning and thought I'd share.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to weld a stop up in a little bit after a line change, I'll show y'all what bad welds look like then.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 black hookers and 50 cent……

So today 2 black hookers randomly showed up on my front porch. Then, when I took them out to my garage to take pics of them for this post, I noticed 50 cent right next to them! Lol

Not sure who, if anyone will get that. I guess it just depends on the audience here.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so seriously. My headers showed up. They say that they’re for 88-98 K and C 1500. And if you remember, we were debating rather or not the flanges were the same from TBI to Vortec heads.

Well, if you look at these pics, I took one with the exhaust gasket on the head, and then another with it on the header.

They fit and line up perfectly.

Also, I bought the collector flanges for the connection to the rest of the exhaust. Along with a hardware kit for the flanges that has zinc coated nuts and bolts and a soft aluminum gasket instead of the typical style of gasket.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can definitely get it done cheaper if you're willing to weld your own exhaust. I did my 2.5" dual exhaust for under $500, and that's with the headers and cats. I could very easily have gotten away with no cats, but I'm trying to be a good neighbor. I did build my own dropped transmission crossmember to fit the exhaust. I used Cherry Bomb Salute mufflers, and they're a bit too loud, but I do plan to finish out the tailpipes at some point, and I think that will help.

Also, if you ever plan on welding roll cages or anything structural, get a 240v welder. I have a Miller 211, and it can run on either 110v or 220v, which is supremely handy when your friend across town needs some welding on the window net anchor tabs on his track toy Miata, but his garage doesn't have 220v.
That looks very Purdy> They now want to bring in by laws here for after market exhaust systems. Muskoka is nothing but old whiners now, Not me I am only 61. I do not watch Welk, and consume Rice Pudding yet.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the looks of that, bolt them up let's see how they fit.
I can, but it would literally just be bolted to a head on a bench since the heads aren’t bolted to the block yet. You want to see it anyway, like that?

Also, I’m thinking about wrapping them to help keep down on the head, but also to keep them from looking too crappy from rust, over time. Yes, they’re painted, but it’s super thin. So I’ll probably put a few more coats on it before they’re bolted on. Rather they’re wrapped or not. My OCD won’t let me not do it.

Plus, as everyone probably knows, there is no O2 sensor bung on the passenger side. So I’ll be adding one of those. And also these are NOT the headers you want unless your EGR is deleted.