350 Vortec Headers and exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks very Purdy> They now want to bring in by laws here for after market exhaust systems. Muskoka is nothing but old whiners now, Not me I am only 61. I do not watch Welk, and consume Rice Pudding yet.
I knew I was risking it with that post. I said black. Which obviously has to be offensive. Even if you’re just pointing out the obvious.

No offense intended.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can, but it would literally just be bolted to a head on a bench since the heads aren’t bolted to the block yet. You want to see it anyway, like that?

I would HIGHLY recommend doing that to see how well they fit. Much easier to do now outside the engine bay.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that since the output collectors are 2.5” that I’m going to make it all 2.5” all the way back. It should be enough for sure for a mildly built engine, but also not too much. I know that sometimes when people go unnecessarily big, like 3” exhaust, that it causes a LOT of drone. I can take loud, but drone is the worst thing in an exhaust and makes me not even want to drive a vehicle.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would HIGHLY recommend doing that to see how well they fit. Much easier to do now outside the engine bay.
I definitely planned on at least bolting them up once the long block is assembled and still on the engine stand. Just hadn’t thought about doing it before that.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, Jegs REALLY impressed me with the speed of their shipping. These things showed up a couple of days later, and on a Sunday no less.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that since the output collectors are 2.5” that I’m going to make it all 2.5” all the way back. It should be enough for sure for a mildly built engine, but also not too much. I know that sometimes when people go unnecessarily big, like 3” exhaust, that it causes a LOT of drone. I can take loud, but drone is the worst thing in an exhaust and makes me not even want to drive a vehicle.

Drone is more about muffler than it is pipe size. 2.5" dual is plenty for up to 400ish horsepower. Get some good mufflers and you'll have no drone. I ran Borla on my ford with 3.5" pipe and it was almost silent until past 3000 rpm, then it sounded like the exhaust fell off. I had to swap to dual 2.5" with patriots to clear a suspension mod and it drones and claps like crazy. Spend good money on the muffler and you'll be happy.

I definitely planned on at least bolting them up once the long block is assembled and still on the engine stand. Just hadn’t thought about doing it before that.

Either way works, that'd be just as good.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, Jegs REALLY impressed me with the speed of their shipping. These things showed up a couple of days later, and on a Sunday no less.

They've gotta compete with summit, I've had stuff delivered in less than 24 hours with their standard free shipping before.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew I was risking it with that post. I said black. Which obviously has to be offensive. Even if you’re just pointing out the obvious.

No offense intended.
God old mighty. Are we talking about BLACK FLIES. The biting little hells things that make my dogs underbelly look like German Measle in the spring time. It is all good . too funny! No Offence.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can, but it would literally just be bolted to a head on a bench since the heads aren’t bolted to the block yet. You want to see it anyway, like that?

Also, I’m thinking about wrapping them to help keep down on the head, but also to keep them from looking too crappy from rust, over time. Yes, they’re painted, but it’s super thin. So I’ll probably put a few more coats on it before they’re bolted on. Rather they’re wrapped or not. My OCD won’t let me not do it.

Plus, as everyone probably knows, there is no O2 sensor bung on the passenger side. So I’ll be adding one of those. And also these are NOT the headers you want unless your EGR is deleted.

I'm more interested in how they fit the truck. Are the flanges all 3/8"? It's just a matter of time before I get stuck redoing the exhaust on my truck front to back and I like the flange design of these better than what I presently have.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drone is more about muffler than it is pipe size. 2.5" dual is plenty for up to 400ish horsepower. Get some good mufflers and you'll have no drone. I ran Borla on my ford with 3.5" pipe and it was almost silent until past 3000 rpm, then it sounded like the exhaust fell off. I had to swap to dual 2.5" with patriots to clear a suspension mod and it drones and claps like crazy. Spend good money on the muffler and you'll be happy.

Either way works, that'd be just as good.
Was that with long tube headers or factory manifolds?