350 Vortec Headers and exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It must be noted that at no point did Engine Masters try a dual exhaust with an X or H pipe. I think there's not a whole lot of power difference between the duals and Y when you compare them fairly.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It must be noted that at no point did Engine Masters try a dual exhaust with an X or H pipe. I think there's not a whole lot of power difference between the duals and Y when you compare them fairly.

They did in a other episode, it was pretty negligible. Both were better than straight duals though.

kensa46

Reaction score
I bought my stainless steel headers on Ebay....They are shorties but only cost $79...I also got the Flowmaster copy muffler and dual tailpipes with chrome tips from Ebay...I have less than $200 in the whole system and it sounds great without being too loud...

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 4

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the chart comparing all of the different combinations Engine Masters did. If you look at the difference between the true dual 2-1/2" straight through muffler (2nd line) and the single 3" Y merge/straight through muffler (bottom line), you gain 10 ft/lbs torque and almost 4 HP. The previous chart I posted was 3" Turbo vs Straight Through mufflers, my mistake :33:

You must be registered for see images attach
I get that. And if I were building my engine up anymore I might go this route.

But with my mild build that might get me in the ball park of 300hp, I feel like I would lose so much bottom end, seat of the pants feeling with initial throttle response based on the lack of back pressure on a lower compression engine, that I still think that 3” isn’t right for me.

But again, maybe my line of thinking is wrong.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I get that. And if I were building my engine up anymore I might go this route.

But with my mild build that might get me in the ball park of 300hp, I feel like I would lose so much bottom end, seat of the pants feeling with initial throttle response based on the lack of back pressure on a lower compression engine, that I still think that 3” isn’t right for me.

But again, maybe my line of thinking is wrong.

Back pressure is the devil, don't use that term. You want velocity.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like I would lose so much bottom end, seat of the pants feeling with initial throttle response based on the lack of back pressure on a lower compression engine, that I still think that 3” isn’t right for me.
FWIU lack of back pressure causing loss of torque is pretty much a myth.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll measure the flanges in a few minutes and let you know. But it’ll be a little while before I can tell you about the fitment of the manifolds inside the truck.
So I measured the flanges and they’re not quite 3/8”. But they’re just barely shy of it. And that’s both on the header to cylinder head flange as well as the collector flanges.

From what I can tell, they’re very well built and put together.

Again though, the real test will be once they’re installed and seeing if the driver side comes too close to the transfer case or anything else.