350 Vortec Headers and exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm more interested in how they fit the truck. Are the flanges all 3/8"? It's just a matter of time before I get stuck redoing the exhaust on my truck front to back and I like the flange design of these better than what I presently ha
I'm more interested in how they fit the truck. Are the flanges all 3/8"? It's just a matter of time before I get stuck redoing the exhaust on my truck front to back and I like the flange design of these better than what I presently have.
I’ll measure the flanges in a few minutes and let you know. But it’ll be a little while before I can tell you about the fitment of the manifolds inside the truck.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was that with long tube headers or factory manifolds?

Long tube headers on a Blueprint 306ci with no cat. The 3.5" came out before the back wheel, which may have helped. I've noticed less drone with shorter exhausts. Running open pipes on my SHO right off the turbos to behind the front wheels had almost no drone and zero rasp. Then I had pipes all the way back with no mufflers and it sounded like a honda. I always run Borla and always am very happy with it, including on my Blazer.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Borla mufflers are there for full size V8’s? Sorry, I’ve just know them for imports. Never even knew that they made things for bigger vehicles

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have stainless steel JBA shorties for my truck. They are advertised as having a "2.5 inch collector". Here is what the welded on ball actually measures.

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have stainless steel JBA shorties for my truck. They are advertised as having a "2.5 inch collector". Here is what the welded on ball actually measures.

I had something similar with some 5.0 Mustang BBK shorties, so I hogged those bitches out.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Borla mufflers are there for full size V8’s? Sorry, I’ve just know them for imports. Never even knew that they made things for bigger vehicles

They're like any muffler company, they make them in all sizes. I usually run the XR-1 mufflers, I have the oval case one on my blazer and the round one was on my Ford. I'm gonna put a pair in 3" on it soon.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Borla mufflers are there for full size V8’s?
I'm running a 2-1/4" JBA Y pipe into a 3" high flow cat and a 3" Borla Pro XS straight through muffler. I get better scavenging with it than a true dual 2-1/2" setup, unless you're running an "H" or "X" pipe. Here's a comparison Engine Masters did with a true dual 2-1/2" vs a 3" Y to single pipe.

Edit: Ooops wrong picture. This is a comparison between a 3" Turbo muffler (red) and a straight through one (black). I'll show the other one in a new post

Last edited:

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running a 2-1/4" JBA Y pipe into a 3" high flow cat and a 3" Borla Pro XS straight through muffler. I get better scavenging with it than a true dual 2-1/2" setup, unless you're running an "H" or "X" pipe. Here's a comparison Engine Masters did with a true dual 2-1/2" vs a 3" Y to single pipe.

So which one was better?

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True dual has always been the worst you can do. I prefer big single but duals work with a crossover. H pipe is always gonna sound better than X.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the chart comparing all of the different combinations Engine Masters did. If you look at the difference between the true dual 2-1/2" straight through muffler (2nd line) and the single 3" Y merge/straight through muffler (bottom line), you gain 10 ft/lbs torque and almost 4 HP. The previous chart I posted was 3" Turbo vs Straight Through mufflers, my mistake :33:

Last edited: