350 or 383 swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4eskimo

Reaction score
I have a 95 Chevy RCSB and looking to upgrade from my 305 to a 350 or 383. My question is, which motor would be better for off road use? I am going to be putting a D60 SFA and 14bff rear axle with 37" tires. I want something that can handle everything i through at it, but still be capable as a DD. The 305 just lags a bit to much for me. I know I could upgrade it but I just want something a little bigger.

Also, should I stick with TBI or go with an upgraded set up? And would how would this all bolt up to my truck engine mounts and 4L60E? I got some time to plan my project as I am going to wait until after my deployment to start, but I plan on buying most of it just before I get back so I can start when I get back. Thanks!!

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
A 383 will get you the most torque, but will wear out slightly faster because the pistons have to move faster at the same rpm because of the longer stroke. I wouldn't worry about that too much though unless you're really gonna beat the piss out of it. As for TBI or not, it all depends on how much you want to spend. Any gen 1 small block shoulld be fine with stock engine mounts and you can always get an adapter to mount to the trans

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If i were you for reliabilty and drivabilty reasons 350 or 383 will be just as reliable depending on how far you want to go for a fuel delivery system will determine the reliabilty. Go fuel injected more power and reliabilty.

dbrandon

Reaction score
Transmission will bolt up just the same as it does with the 305. You will not have to modify anything.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or just do an LS swap with msd's carb intake and ignition kit, no computer.

4x4eskimo

Reaction score
I have found a few 350 blocks I could use on craigslist, they are definately out there. Or I could just find one down here as a donor at the junkyard.

Edelbrock has a great EFI set up that bolts directly in place of the intake manifold/tbi. I might just do that.