2dr crate motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Picked up a new engine for my stupid tahoe and dropped it in. Crate engine with 2500 miles, came with an airaide intake, gibson headers, and full stainless magnaflow midpipe + catback.

Cool story, bought it out of the "Overhaulin'" 1996 2dr Tahoe, so I guess the new engine in my POS is kind of famous :) Guy is pulling it apart to rebuild what sounds like the whole truck and drop in the engine from a `09 tahoe instead.
The truck it came out of was this one:

This is my truck that it's going into -

it has a fully built 4l60e going in as well that I paid $2k for the rebuild from "All about transmissions" in Ventura, CA, it has everything that can be upgraded done to it, but still with the stock stall rated converter so it will drive like usual. Most of that cost is parts as I pulled the trans and dropped it off / picked it up to save money.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like a fun project... but 2k for a built 4l60E? dang, you can buy a new one for that

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like a fun project... but 2k for a built 4l60E? dang, you can buy a new one for that

Maybe, but it wouldn't have fully upgraded hard parts, corvette serve, transgo hd2 kit, etc. I think it's stronger than a stock 4l80e based on what the shop told me.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe, but it wouldn't have fully upgraded hard parts, corvette serve, transgo hd2 kit, etc. I think it's stronger than a stock 4l80e based on what the shop told me.

interesting, I swear I saw a built one on Finish Line Trans. for like 1500. I know that one for our 94 got rebuilt, and the guy that did the build (was beefed up and said to withstand 700hp) and it was like 1k

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
interesting, I swear I saw a built one on Finish Line Trans. for like 1500. I know that one for our 94 got rebuilt, and the guy that did the build (was beefed up and said to withstand 700hp) and it was like 1k

cool, you should probably buy 10 at those prices.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
$900 is a great price for all that you got. And, $2k is not that much IF everything got upgraded. I was quoted $2,300 in Tucson for the same thing with install.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Looks like a fun swap, I love me a dark green 2dr.
Prices seem reasonable for the trans build and the engine that's for sure..
Haven't seen that Overhaulin episode, gonna have to check it out.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After a nice long week at work, got back at it this morning...got the trans bolted up and 2 of the t/c bolts started. Taking a break for lunch then time for my favorite part - the transfercase-bench-press-but-don't-drop-it-on-your-nuts-while-heaving-it-at-the-tailhousing game. (I've done this a few times)