291 heads on a 350 tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey Price

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok hopefully there are some old schoolers on here.
I got a steal on some 291 rebuilt camel hump heads, intake(torker)and valve covers. Plan is to put them on my tbi motor and run tbi. I have already done all the bells and whistles to the tbi so it flows it’s max when needed. I have headers no cats and dual 2.5 exhaust. this is a budget build and plan on doing it in the truck on a weekend.
Questions—
What cam would you recommend. Will be my daily driver with a 3.42 rear end. Bottom end will be stock everything.
Can you think of some issues I may run into other then the heads not having accessory holes.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran a TBI 406 20 years ago. Ran stock TBI heads used Extreme Energy 268 cam/springs. Didn't do anything to fuel or computer or anything, other than an MSD coil. If it wasn't for a very tired 700r4, it would smoke the tires till ran outta road or let off. I'd say that cam or lil smaller since running smaller motor. How gonna mount accessories without the holes?

Casey Price

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran a TBI 406 20 years ago. Ran stock TBI heads used Extreme Energy 268 cam/springs. Didn't do anything to fuel or computer or anything, other than an MSD coil. If it wasn't for a very tired 700r4, it would smoke the tires till ran outta road or let off. I'd say that cam or lil smaller since running smaller motor. How gonna mount accessories without the holes?
Fab up to exhaust and use the upper bars. That’s what I’m thinking for now.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you thought about the fact that, along with the lack of accessory holes, the camel humps don't have hardened seats for unleaded fuels? They'll last a little while if they weren't rebuilt with hardened seats. There are different levels of what some call "rebuilt" The Torker is not really all that good of an intake, not even in it's heyday. Being single plane is more of a mid to upper end intake so it's counterproductive to a smallish cam.

You're wanting to build a mis-matched combo.

You got a steal because they're substandard parts by today's standards but there are still plenty of old timers out there carrying on about how magical camel hump heads are. In '68 on a 327 Camaro they were. Vortec is a better head.

Nobody except resto guys are really using them anymore because a machine shop bill to properly re-do and update a set of camel hump heads is close to what a set of aftermarket heads cost.

Last edited:

Casey Price

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you thought about the fact that, along with the lack of accessory holes, the camel humps don't have hardened seats for unleaded fuels? They'll last a little while if they weren't rebuilt with hardened seats. There are different levels of what some call "rebuilt" The Torker is not really all that good of an intake, not even in it's heyday. Being single plane is more of a mid to upper end intake so it's counterproductive to a smallish cam.

You're wanting to build a mis-matched combo.

You got a steal because they're substandard parts by today's standards but there are still plenty of old timers out there carrying on about how magical camel hump heads are. In '68 on a 327 Camaro they were. Vortec is a better head.

Nobody except resto guys are really using them anymore because a machine shop bill to properly re-do and update a set of camel hump heads is close to what a set of aftermarket heads cost.
Thank that’s what I was looking for. They have new hardened seats. I’m always open to options but stuck with the heads. So what intake would you recommend?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just rebuilt the old TBI motor out of my truck, and I'm going old-school-looks with it. I got an Edelbrock C3BX and the appropriate oil filler tube for it. I bought a $50 cam that should be a fair bit lumpier than stock - we'll see if that was a mistake. I have a 650 CFM Carter, some vintage-looking center bolt valve covers, and a set of ram-horn manifolds. I did a mild port job on the TBI heads. I'm still trying to find a set of v-pulleys at the junkyard, and I'm looking at cheap louvered air cleaners.

Because it's old-school looks, it doesn't have to be a horsepower monster to get respect. My goal is to put an old truck cab on my '69 DeVille chassis and put this motor under the hood. If the motor's over 300 hp it will be more than what the old trucks came with.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score