285's vs. 305's...need input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Edge

Reaction score
I know both sizes will fit with the wheels I plan to get, but what I was wondering is some of your inputs as far as looks/performance/etc between 285's or 305's.

Biggest reason, most the tires I'm looking at, there is a $200+ price jump between 285/75's or 305/70's....or the wider 305's worth it? I just think its a hell of a price jump between the two, especially when I could buy 35's for damn near same price as 305's cost

Comparison pics would be great if anybody has any to help my decision...Thanks~

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i prefer wider tires, but that is a big price difference for just 1". id say go with the 285s. what wheels are you gettiing?

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man, that is all up to your tastes on looks because the tiny difference in width is not going to make any "performance" differences. Personally, I always ran 285's when I was stock height and loved them. I would go with them bc the 305's aren't worth the extra $ plus the 285's will be lighter which = better gas mileage, longer ball joint/hub bearing/ tie rod, etc. life, oh and a faster truck...Just my opinion though.

305's worth $200 more? Hail naw. There are soo many little things you could spend that money on like exhaust, tow mirrors, etc.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GO WIDE SUCKA! 305s are the ****! im gettin 305 trail graps for mine :rocking:

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
285. no sense in spending that much more for a little width and heavier tires.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that little bit of width gives the truck such a good stance though... widens it up given it that bulldog stance

Z71Edge

Reaction score
stock height? 285s for sure.
Pretty much...only plan on leveling it out or doing a 1.5" BL...not doing suspension lift anytime soon because I plan to do a solid axle swap down the road. Be a waste to lift it now :imo:

285. no sense in spending that much more for a little width and heavier tires.
Kinda what I figured...not to mention the wear/tear on front end components from the width/weight of the 305's is also something I'm considering...It wasn't much, but on my 99, I noticed a difference in power and seemed like I wore out my front wheel hub assemblies & other front end stuff alot quicker with the 295's and 305's than when I ran 285's...didn't think that little diffference mattered, but it did.

that little bit of width gives the truck such a good stance though... widens it up given it that bulldog stance
I do hear ya on the stance of wider tires...I love the look, however after really thinking about it, I just don't think its worth the headaches like I had on my old truck

Thanks for the inputs guys