2015 type mirrors for OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have replaced my old tow mirrors with the new style, and had 2 problems.
1. I wired the back up lights in the mirrors the turn signals, I have no need for backup lights?
Problem is, its unlawful to have Bright lites facing rearward. Makes sense.
2. The adjustment on the mirrors is lacking. When the drivers mirror is adjusted fully in you still cannot see directly behind you with a portion of your vehicle in view for reference.

Problem #1
I picked up a turn signal lens off a Chevy Van at the pull you part Junk yard.
Made a little card board template to fit the backup lite insert, and transferred that to the amber turn signal lens, after several fittings, I used a outdoor silicone for attachment. I like it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Problem # 2
In my opinion these mirrors are not indexed properly for positioning using the switch on the arm rest.
The driver side needed canted inward. I finally hit on a solution.
I'm also replacing the rubber tubing on my windshield wipers ...Bang it hit me, use the old tubing wrapped around the pivot joint on the mirrors!
By stretching the tubing and pulling it into the joint it begins to expand when released creating a tight friction lock on the mirror, problem solved....Me thinks.

If you have the same problems, this may work for you.
Thanks for looking.
Ron

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I have replaced my old tow mirrors with the new style, and had 2 problems.
1. I wired the back up lights in the mirrors the turn signals, I have no need for backup lights?
Problem is, its unlawful to have Bright lites facing rearward. Makes sense.
2. The adjustment on the mirrors is lacking. When the drivers mirror is adjusted fully in you still cannot see directly behind you with a portion of your vehicle in view for reference.

Problem #1
I picked up a turn signal lens off a Chevy Van at the pull you part Junk yard.
Made a little card board template to fit the backup lite insert, and transferred that to the amber turn signal lens, after several fittings, I used a outdoor silicone for attachment. I like it.

Problem # 2
In my opinion these mirrors are not indexed properly for positioning using the switch on the arm rest.
The driver side needed canted inward. I finally hit on a solution.
I'm also replacing the rubber tubing on my windshield wipers ...Bang it hit me, use the old tubing wrapped around the pivot joint on the mirrors!
By stretching the tubing and pulling it into the joint it begins to expand when released creating a tight friction lock on the mirror, problem solved....Me thinks.

If you have the same problems, this may work for you.
Thanks for looking.
Ron

Nice write up on the mirror mod/fix.
I have a question. Who told you that it is unlawful to have bright lights facing rearward? There have been reverse lights on vehicles for more than 40 years. If those mirrors were factory installed on the van then they would be legal for highway use due to the fact that the factory has to follow NHTSA guidelines.

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are not factory installed, but the so called 2015 style tow mirrors for OBS, 99 Yukon in my case.
I do see your point, if 2015 + vehicles have white back up lights in the mirrors, then it has to be legal?
I wired mine with the turn signal, The main reason for going amber.

I only read on the 'net' that it was illegal to have rear facing white lights, I dont know what states.
I just decided to make them amber cause I could, I saw no reason for back up lights on a mirror.
My mirror indexing fix appears to be working, lotsa door closings, and no movement, time will tell.
Thanks for looking.
Ron

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score