2005 Z71 Tahoe Timeline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Just a small update....

A few days after I had the new plugs and wires installed, I developed a misfire that got worse after a day or so. Took it back to the shop and two of my AC Delco plugs had cracked down the sides. Threw two new plugs in and it’s been great.

Also had a milestone tonight that I’ve been looking forward to since I bought it!!

You must be registered for see images attach

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
This has to be one of the best vehicles I’ve ever purchased. She’s not perfect, but she sure cleans up decent.

Now I have somewhat of a dilemma. In the spring I plan on upgrading my lighting. I was thinking of just going with all new OEM lights because I like the stock look. The other part of me wants to upgrade to these because eventually I’m thinking about lifting it and going with black wheels and it would be nice for it to all match. Thoughts??

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP, I DD a '06 2500 Suburban similar version of your truck, same color too :) Last summer I had a fender bender, just like yours but worse. I had to get a new bumper and a regular black pumper cap thingy. I'm not a big fan of all the painted color-matched stuff, but that's what it has.

My previous DD was a 99 1500 Silverado ECSB. Even though it was an LS trim, it was still more basic than the 06. The GMT800 99-02 version of these trucks are more similar to the 96-00 GMT800. The later GMT 800 03-06 or 07.5 got fancier and got more electronics, for better or worse. My 06 even has power folding mirrors, which I didn't even know about until a few days ago, LOL.

But I think they are still great vehicles. A co-worker has an '02 or '03 Tahoe with the 4.8. He passed it on to his daughter-in-law a few years ago at around 325,000 miles or so. Has over 350,000 miles last me told me.

What size tires are you going with? You have 3.42s or 3.73s?

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
What size tires are you going with? You have 3.42s or 3.73s?

It all depends. I’ve looked at just a minor 3” lift to keep it simple. I have 3:42’s so I can’t go much bigger than stock. If I did that I would go with a 285 so it could still be a reliable DD. We use this when we take road trips from Michigan to Alabama to see family so reliability and fuel economy are important to me. Right now I usually can get around 17 mpg all the way there with the cruise set.

Chances are that I’ll probably end up waiting to lift it until we get my wife a new DD. Her Grand Cherokee is getting too small for us so we may get her a newer Tahoe in a year or so. We shall see.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Nothing new to report really. My rear differential started leaking a few weeks ago again so I had to replace the gasket once more. Flushed out both the front and rear diff with fresh fluid while I did my oil change. Also hit another milestone.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
I wish I could update this with something cool, but it’s just been an awesome DD without any problems. Halfway to 254,000 miles right now. We’re actually planning on another trip to Alabama to visit the in-laws in a few weeks. So for now here’s this photo from the parking lot of my wife’s office today. That’s her GC in the background.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Not much in terms of new stuff with the Tahoe. Still truckin’ on and almost to 257,000. We also started moving stuff over to the new house

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Time for a small update. Blew this coolant fitting over the summer and stranded me about 20 minutes from home. Got a tow back home and had it replaced.

Getting ready to head south to Alabama to the in-laws this coming week. Currently having my new wheel hubs, lower control arms/balljoints/bushings, transmission cooler lines, & sway bar endlinks installed. The uppers were still in decent shape so for now I’m just doing what’s necessary. Some things I just don’t have the time or tools to do in the garage. Currently sitting just under 267,000 miles. Going on 2 1/2 years I’ve owned it.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time for a small update. Blew this coolant fitting over the summer and stranded me about 20 minutes from home. Got a tow back home and had it replaced.

Getting ready to head south to Alabama to the in-laws this coming week. Currently having my new wheel hubs, lower control arms/balljoints/bushings, transmission cooler lines, & sway bar endlinks installed. The uppers were still in decent shape so for now I’m just doing what’s necessary. Some things I just don’t have the time or tools to do in the garage. Currently sitting just under 267,000 miles.

The coolant quick connects are a common problem on these. Mine broke back in November. I was able to limp home from my office. I filled a 5 gallon bucket of water and made a few stops, even had to get some water from the corner gas station. Mine looked new-ish (Dorman?) also, probably from the previous owner.

Buy the original ones. Amazon has them. Stay away from Dorman junk. On my 99 Silverado back when I got in 07 they broke a few months later, but on those you can you remove the plastic connector and hose clamp the rubber directly to the aluminum tube. Can't do that easily on these rear heater SUVs.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media