2005 Z71 Tahoe Timeline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
So time for a story. I turned in my '16 Silverado lease back in July and I didn't want to deal with a new vehicle again as I'm not a fan of the new trucks. I wanted something that I wouldn't owe on, could tow a trailer with, and something safe for our daughter. I began looking on Craigslist in the southern US since I live in Michigan and everything here has rust. Fast forward to several weeks ago. I was browsing Craigslist near Oklahoma City and came across a 2005 Z71 Tahoe. It had higher miles (227,500), but was one owner, no rust, fully loaded, and very clean compared to what I was finding in Michigan. I contacted the owner and had my uncle meet up with him since he lived in the area. Needless to say I wired him the money, he paid for it and took it home.

I had to wait for a chance to get off work so last Friday, I rented a car and drove 13 hours to Oklahoma, turned the car in, grabbed the Tahoe, and drove back another 13 hours. I think the trip was around 2,200 miles round trip. Had no problems at all and even managed 17.3 mpg on the freeway.

The ad mentioned it needed tires so my uncle had them replaced before I got there along with an oil change and topping off all the fluids. The rear differential has a small leak from the gasket so I have to replace that. The oil pressure sensor is bad, but I already have the part and I need to throw in a new thermostat as its running a little warmer than normal. Other than that, I think its a solid daily driver.

Plans for now:

-Weathertech floormats all around
-Tinted windows
-Possibly exhaust
-Recover driver seat

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
For the mileage on the truck, the interior is in great shape. The driver seat has the normal wear, but nothing serious. It has third row seats that I removed for now for storage.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Had some free time tonight so I replaced the oil pressure sensor. Simple job, but man is it a pain in the ass to reach. Nice to see my oil pressure now instead of the gauge floating around. Idles right around 40 now.

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a nice looking HO fo sho. Sorry I had to. Seriously though it looks super nice and going south to find vehicles when your from up by you or me is the way to go. I wish I had more time I would have loved to go west or south to get my Suburban with a little less under carriage rust. Congrats on the new purchase!

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Very nice! I was super interested in getting one of these a few years ago. Being in a similar area as you...It was hard to find one that's in good shape. They either wanted a fortune for a low-miler, or they had high miles, rust, and highly abused on top of it.

I ended up buying my '95 after a year of searching for a '01-06 Tahoe/Yukon. I hated knowing I'd be going back to an underpowered TBI. LS swaps were costly and the aftermarket wasn't really there yet. I live in an emissions area too, so things weren't/still aren't necessarily free reign.

Although it's nice to have a pickup truck again, there's also times I miss having a full size SUV. One day I'd like to have both.

Looks like it was well cared for, should be a great addition!

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very nice! I have a 03 z71 tahoe with almost 500,000 miles on it.
It use to get mid 17s mpg when I first got it. Then went to a cammed 6.0, 33s, 4.10s, all the fun stuff. Now I'm lucky to see 15 mpg on a good day.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
I'm happy with it for the most part. The fact the 5.3 is so reliable is part of the reason why I wanted it.

When I bought it, I knew it needed a new rear differential gasket since it was leaking fairly good. Come to find out the bolts were practically hand tight! Changed the gasket and added new fluid tonight along with a headlight that burnt out on the way home from the gym.

Still have to change the front differential fluid and transfer case fluid. I'm not sure when it was changed last honestly.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Small update...

When I bought the Tahoe, I discovered on the drive home that the driver side would only blow cool air. The vents in the rest of the interior would blow hot and cold as they should. Bought a new blend door actuator last week and installed it. It made the heat work for the driver side, but after 10 seconds it would blow cool again and then back to hot and so forth. Tried to recalibrate it after watching one of the videos on YouTube. Big mistake.....now it blows cold and now it’s only 30* outside. Taking it to the dealer Friday because I can’t afford to take my time figuring it out because my baby girl has to ride in it.