2005 Z71 Tahoe Timeline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Small update...

When I bought the Tahoe, I discovered on the drive home that the driver side would only blow cool air. The vents in the rest of the interior would blow hot and cold as they should. Bought a new blend door actuator last week and installed it. It made the heat work for the driver side, but after 10 seconds it would blow cool again and then back to hot and so forth. Tried to recalibrate it after watching one of the videos on YouTube. Big mistake.....now it blows cold and now it’s only 30* outside. Taking it to the dealer Friday because I can’t afford to take my time figuring it out because my baby girl has to ride in it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thats a bummer that it didnt fix it but sometimes you have to give in and let someone do it. It is getting cold fast this year

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Thats a bummer that it didnt fix it but sometimes you have to give in and let someone do it. It is getting cold fast this year

Yea it’s down to 25* right now. I get to park in a heated garage at work so it’s nice and warm in the morning when I leave. There are so many components with the heating and cooling system, I’d rather pay someone than throw money at it and still have a problem.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Well I went to the dealer a week ago and let them take a look at my HVAC problem. They tried to recalibrate it, but didn’t have any luck. They wanted $480 for a new ACDelco part and recalibration. I said screw that and asked for the part number they were going to use. I bought the same one off Summit Racing for $138 and installed it a few nights ago. Recalibrated it myself and I HAVE HEAT!! Couldn’t have waited much longer because it’s been in the single digits at night lol.

Lesson learned, just use OEM replacement parts next time lol.

DirtBag

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was it the blend door that is right above the transmission hump, or the one deeper in the dash?

I had high heat only on the driver side in my 2004 Yukon XL and it was the one right above the transmission hump. Had to do the recal as well and then all was well. I've heard that you almost need to tear the entire dash out to do the other one.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Was it the blend door that is right above the transmission hump, or the one deeper in the dash?

I had high heat only on the driver side in my 2004 Yukon XL and it was the one right above the transmission hump. Had to do the recal as well and then all was well. I've heard that you almost need to tear the entire dash out to do the other one.

Yea it was the one above the transmission hump. I got lucky lol

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Nothing much to report lately except some general maintenance items. I threw on a new set of pads & rotors in the front. I’d say the old ones were just about shot lol.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Bought some cheap LED backup lights off Amazon a few weeks ago. They aren’t the brightest, but they’re better than stock. My phone wouldn’t really catch the difference between the two.

While I was at it, I installed a new washer reservoir tank because the old one was leaking. Got it all back together and the new one was leaking too so it has to be a line somewhere. Now I have to tear it all out again.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Bought some new Fel Pro valve cover gaskets a few weeks ago and finally got around to changing them out. Also gave her her first oil change while I was at it.

Within in the next few weeks I think I’m going to buy a new water pump/thermostat and intake manifold gaskets. I’ve been losing coolant and I wasn’t sure where it was going. There’s some leakage around the water pump, but tonight I found a little inside the oil fill cap. So I have a feeling I know where the coolant is going, which is weird because there wasn’t any in the oil when I drained it tonight.

DirtBag

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Coolant doesn't flow thru the intake manifold on the 5.3, if I'm thinking correctly. So replacing the intake manifold gaskets wont fix a coolant issue.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought some new Fel Pro valve cover gaskets a few weeks ago and finally got around to changing them out. Also gave her her first oil change while I was at it.

Within in the next few weeks I think I’m going to buy a new water pump/thermostat and intake manifold gaskets. I’ve been losing coolant and I wasn’t sure where it was going. There’s some leakage around the water pump, but tonight I found a little inside the oil fill cap. So I have a feeling I know where the coolant is going, which is weird because there wasn’t any in the oil when I drained it tonight.

The moisture inside the oil fill cap is normal. It is the highest point in the crankcase so its going to have condensation there.
Its prolly just water pump and maybe check the T fittings on the heater hose at the firewall. Sometimes those will drip some and evaporate on the the engine.