2004 Express 3500 Axle Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the same exact story as you! I showed up to buy what I thought would be a 14 bolt out of a 2003 3500 Express Van. He was only asking $125 for it so I grabbed it anyways. It has disk brakes and the width is wider bringing the rear wheels out to be the same width as the fronts unlike the narrower track in the rear of our GMT 400's. Other than that the rest isn't too straightforward. Are you sure you don't have a Dana 60 Super like me??? I don't remember the details, but I remember thinking I had a Dana 70 for a while too.

Me:

"I have a Dana 60 Super with 3:73 gears out of a 2003 3500 Express Van that I'd like to install a locking differential on. I keep getting conflicting information on it trying to research it online. Supposedly it has oddball 33 spline axles where the ones used on the front of Ford Super Duty's for example have 35 spline axles. Is this correct information? So then what has to be done to make this work? From what I understand you have to install custom 35 spline axles. If so, what would a set of them be? Are there any stock axles that could be retrofitted to make it work? Or am I altogether wrong on everything I've said here?"

Them:

"GM made sure the rears in there vans are unique. They are 33 spline, use small gm pattern flanges, and the carriers have the cross pin off set ½” compared to any other application.

To do a swap require custom made axle shafts , a different carrier, the housing to be bored out to accept the larger shafts etc. basically , every aspect of the diferential needs to be changed."

Brian "Gus" Pyeatt
Tech Support
Yukon Gear & Axle

10411 Airport Road Suite 200
Everett, WA 98204
P: 866.889.6475 ext. 5599
F: 425-355-1529
E-Mail: [email protected]
Shop: www.diffwizard.com

JayY

Reaction score
I have the same exact story as you! I showed up to buy what I thought would be a 14 bolt out of a 2003 3500 Express Van. He was only asking $125 for it so I grabbed it anyways. It has disk brakes and the width is wider bringing the rear wheels out to be the same width as the fronts unlike the narrower track in the rear of our GMT 400's. Other than that the rest isn't too straightforward. Are you sure you don't have a Dana 60 Super like me??? I don't remember the details, but I remember thinking I had a Dana 70 for a while too.

Me:

"I have a Dana 60 Super with 3:73 gears out of a 2003 3500 Express Van that I'd like to install a locking differential on. I keep getting conflicting information on it trying to research it online. Supposedly it has oddball 33 spline axles where the ones used on the front of Ford Super Duty's for example have 35 spline axles. Is this correct information? So then what has to be done to make this work? From what I understand you have to install custom 35 spline axles. If so, what would a set of them be? Are there any stock axles that could be retrofitted to make it work? Or am I altogether wrong on everything I've said here?"

Them:

"GM made sure the rears in there vans are unique. They are 33 spline, use small gm pattern flanges, and the carriers have the cross pin off set ½” compared to any other application.

To do a swap require custom made axle shafts , a different carrier, the housing to be bored out to accept the larger shafts etc. basically , every aspect of the diferential needs to be changed."

Brian "Gus" Pyeatt
Tech Support
Yukon Gear & Axle

10411 Airport Road Suite 200
Everett, WA 98204
P: 866.889.6475 ext. 5599
F: 425-355-1529
E-Mail: [email protected]
Shop: www.diffwizard.com
Sorry to hear about all of your troubles! Yes, the tag on the axle says "70S" and am certain its a Dana Super 70. Supposedly this one has 37 spline axles. These only came in 4:10 and 4:56, this is a 4:10 Limited Slip. Picked it up as a 200k Mile Full Rear Assembly (Springs, Brakes, Wheels, Tires, E-Brake) all for $140, so I still feel like I got a decent deal. Hopefully this wont be as difficult to swap 4:56's and a locker into, but I'm planning to call a few shops to confirm.