2000 K3500 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Intragration

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think it unlikely that other things were tuned out. Sometimes cats get clogged, or people just don't like them, so they take them off and tune them out if necessary. You HAVE to tune them out if there's a post-cat O2 sensor and the cat is gone, at least if you want the CEL to remain off. You don't HAVE to tune other things out. Have you confirmed that the CEL lamp still works? It should go on during the pre-start light test.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It should have CATs. My 92 454 truck had one. Interestingly, however, they placed the cat after the muffler, closer the back of the exhaust. I have no idea what the impetus was to place it there. It is gone now, had no real effect on performance.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll check mine that is a 2000, it's a big block truck, an HD so technically not a 1 ton. But I still say it had cats, someone took them off and just tucked the wires somewhere. Only thing that I've seen that wouldn't have cats is a medium duty truck, Kodiak, Top Kick type trucks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The '97 service manual shows about fifteen different exhaust systems for the various models--single-cat, dual-cat, different models, different wheelbases, different GVW, Chassis-Cab models, etc.

Find the service manual for 2000 and see what it shows for your particular GVW and wheelbase, etc.