2 or 4 gauge from battery to fuse/relay center?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Okay so I don't have immediate access to my 97 right now, so I'm hoping someone who's done the wiring upgrade can tell me which wire gauge fits perfectly in the stock location on top of the fan shroud between the battery and under-hood fuse/relay center? Looking to pick up some more EWCS welding cable from the Amazons and really want to route the cable and make it look as if it is factory. For the most part :p Either size will be more than plenty to provide the amperage, I'm just after looks now lol. Gonna be home to play with it in two weeks so I'm filling up on the project fuel ahead of time :D

Oh and if anyone's got a cheaper source for good pure copper wire, I'm all ears too!

Last edited:

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so I don't have immediate access to my 97 right now, so I'm hoping someone who's done the wiring upgrade can tell me which wire gauge fits perfectly in the stock location on top of the fan shroud between the battery and under-hood fuse/relay center? Looking to pick up some more EWCS welding cable from the Amazons and really want to route the cable and make it look as if it is factory. For the most part [emoji14] Either size will be more than plenty to provide the amperage, I'm just after looks now lol. Gonna be home to play with it in two weeks so I'm filling up on the project fuel ahead of time :D

Oh and if anyone's got a cheaper source for good pure copper wire, I'm all ears too!
4ga

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I typically buy smaller wire from 4rcustomswire.com, but they don't carry the big stuff. For that I usually look for a spool of decent quality wire on Amazon. If you do much custom work, you'd be surprised how fast you'll go through 100' of 4 gauge.

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
knuconceptz is my go to for wiring, I believe 4 gauge is what i had that fit in the shroud channel, with split loom and it fit great, will check pc later and see if i have any pre ls motor pics. I second that 100’ rolls comment, saved me money over all and you can cut exact lengths with very minimal waste. black looks great everywhere, so if you did it for grounds and power it wouldn’t stick out like a sore thumb.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so I don't have immediate access to my 97 right now, so I'm hoping someone who's done the wiring upgrade can tell me which wire gauge fits perfectly in the stock location on top of the fan shroud between the battery and under-hood fuse/relay center? Looking to pick up some more EWCS welding cable from the Amazons and really want to route the cable and make it look as if it is factory. For the most part :p Either size will be more than plenty to provide the amperage, I'm just after looks now lol. Gonna be home to play with it in two weeks so I'm filling up on the project fuel ahead of time :D

I used 2 gauge from Windy Nation for everything, it was cheaper buying directly from them. No, it doesn't fit the channel like stock. I ground down one side of the channel and used mesh sleeve in lieu of the corrugated loom and added extra routing clips like the factory one that is in the center of the channel.

I went with 2 gauge because I power trailer brakes, trailer charging wire, 4 hi mod, etc, off the power box studs instead of the battery.

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nice, yeah i personally have 0 gauge, about to have to redo it once again, oof... alternator bout to move back to passenger side of motor got a lextech ac kit though so i will not melt in texas! mines 300 amp alt with 0 gauge all the way to the bed, then i have 4 gauge pushed to a bus bar basically for my electric fans and headlight relays, and for a light bar, you can invest in some good glued heat shrink and some techflex for an amazing looking install, tesa tape will make it look like factory wiring also, depending on what youre into! i always fall back to the simplicity of split loom though..