1999 K2500 Suburban 7.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Papablunt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick update... I'll post more later if anyone wants details.

Got the exhaust done. Sounds great, no drone at all. Headers fixed the exhaust leak I had. I'm getting her ready for a trip to PINS next week - Padre Island National Seashore. More photos to come!

You must be registered for see images attach

Papablunt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The exhaust is pretty basic and simple for now. It has Gibson shorty headers, 3" intermediate piping mated into original cats, with a Magnaflow #12590 muffler swap. The noise level is perfect. You can hear it around town just enough, but it really quiets down on the highway. No drone whatsoever. Exactly what I wanted.

At some point I would like to upgrade the cats and remaining OE piping to 3", but with the price of the new Colorado emissions cats... this will work great for now.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I had the same setup when I still had the OE cats, less the shorty headers. Definitely a good sound. Mine had a touch of drone that I cured with a helmholtz resonator. After the cats were gone it got pretty loud.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The exhaust is pretty basic and simple for now. It has Gibson shorty headers, 3" intermediate piping mated into original cats, with a Magnaflow #12590 muffler swap. The noise level is perfect. You can hear it around town just enough, but it really quiets down on the highway. No drone whatsoever. Exactly what I wanted.

At some point I would like to upgrade the cats and remaining OE piping to 3", but with the price of the new Colorado emissions cats... this will work great for now.

The cats are 3" in and out, they neck down to 2.75" after the cats. But there's enough meat there to convert it to dual 3" post cat. I put 3" v band clamps on my dually post cat last winter. You must be up near Denver, most of CO doesn't have emissions testing. For now.

Papablunt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The cats are 3" in and out, they neck down to 2.75" after the cats. But there's enough meat there to convert it to dual 3" post cat. I put 3" v band clamps on my dually post cat last winter. You must be up near Denver, most of CO doesn't have emissions testing. For now.
That is good to know. I didn't know they were 3" cats.
I'm in the Springs. We don't have gasoline emissions testing, but I prefer to leave the cats on.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That is good to know. I didn't know they were 3" cats.
I'm in the Springs. We don't have gasoline emissions testing, but I prefer to leave the cats on.

You'd be wise to leave them on then, I keep hearing rumblings that El Paso County is building some big_ass emissions testing facility for all the things. So my stuff stays tagged in MI. No emissions and no front plate.

Papablunt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We took the Burb down to Padre Island for some fishing and camping. She did great! I was a little concerned about the long drive after putting so much work into it, and so few miles, but everything worked out.

It is clear that it's still in need of a final tune, but even so I was able to manage 12.9 mpg. I'll take it.