1999 GMC C1500 Suburban 4L60E going bad (3-4 slipping)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question. My 1999 GMC C1500 Suburban 2wd started slipping the other day. It shifts from 1-2 fine, sometimes slips from 2-3 and all the time from 3-4, or sometimes won't go into 4. I want to pick up a used transmission from a Pull-A-Part soon and replace what I have, then maybe take the time to rebuild my existing transmission so I'll have a newly rebuilt one ready to go for when this happens again.

I know I have the deep pan 4L60E with removable bell housing. From the research I have done that means my transmission is the 2nd gen 96-99 4L60E. What trucks in that time span use this transmission? I know the older 4L60E with the cast (non-removable) bell housing overlaps by 1 year (93-97). So, I assume I'm good looking at other 99 suburbans and tahoes. Maybe 98 suburbans, tahoes, and sierras and silveradoes too. I want to be able to look at as many as I can to find the best one I can when I go.

Also, other than bell housing, are the 96-99 4L60E's that are bolted up to a different engine than the 5.7 different internally from mine? So, if I find one in an S10 that looks decent should I pick it?

Also, it would be nice to find a good site that with the tag codes so I can better gauge how the transmissions I'm looking at are configured.

Thanks in advanced. I haven't had this Suburban long (a little over a year), but it has given me an affinity for these GMT400's.