1998 k1500 wont start cold if i leave it outside all night i

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freddog

Reaction score
I have a 1998 1500 4x4 5.0 problem is it doesn't like to start if I leave it outside all night if I leave it in the garage it starts no problem just has problems when it real cold out I've checked the fuel pressure I've changed the temp sensor ,distributor cap

Teddygraham

Reaction score
Have you checked fuel pressure when it won’t start? How about checking live data. Want to make sure both iat and ect are similar after a cold soak and also make sure the temp they see is plausible.

How cold are we talking? Old work plugs could be a cause too

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. As said, you need to verify fuel pressure when cold, and you need to connect a scan tool to view the data stream when cold. I'd be especially interested in the crank sensor signal, (RPM info) and coolant temperature, but verify ALL sensors and outputs. (The O2 sensors have to be hot to be checked.)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If it cranks but won't start, and fuel pressure is sufficient (bare minimum 55psi, maybe 50 or so if it has the updated spider) then I betcha the vents in the distributor body are gunked up, letting condensation form under the rotor. Carefully remove the cap and rotor, check for moisture, use a bright light and really look down inside the distributor body. Spray the cap, rotor, and distributor out with WD40 then mop up any extra with paper towels. Re-assemble and try again.

Richard