1998 GMC K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress! My dad came over after work and we pieced together a good starter from a couple units we had. We managed to get the engine to start to turn over, but out of the four (FOUR!!) batteries I had on hand none of them had enough charge to start the truck. And with no working battery charger and no start with boost, my dad took a battery home to charge. Going to try again tomorrow. In the mean time I'm going to try and take the distributor cap off to clean.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
don't lose the 2 little screws when taking it off! I would personally just buy a new cap and rotor. maybe $20-$30, but that's just me. It helped a lot of guys trucks I worked on that have a starting problem.

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just might do that.

Spent the evening chasing and removing needless wiring that the PO installed just about everywhere, including one that ran to the harness on the ignition coil... Although, while chasing wires to the rear of the truck I was pleasantly surprised to discover that somewhere along the way someone swapped in a semi-float 14 bolt axle; score!

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spent the evening chasing and removing needless wiring that the PO installed just about everywhere, including one that ran to the harness on the ignition coil... Although, while chasing wires to the rear of the truck I was pleasantly surprised to discover that somewhere along the way someone swapped in a semi-float 14 bolt axle; score!

lucky.... :nono: wish I had me one of those!

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess it's not surprising; the rear leafs have also been upgraded. It also came with GG torsion bars out front.

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thought I'd share some pictures of my truck's GMT400 siblings. This first one is my dad's old plow truck, a 1989 with over 600k km's on it. It will be donating the front clip and bumper for my truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

This one is his driver/plow truck, a 1993 with about 380k km's on it.

Finally this is his parts truck for his driver, a 1994, not sure on mileage.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
man see if you can swap the parts over to your dads parts truck! thatd be much! easier to save also did anyone else notice the hood says vortex lol