1998 2 door Tahoe build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Denali console was tan so it needed to be painted. I scrubbed these parts for two days and then used SEM Color Coat Medium Grey to paint them. I then used a satin clearcoat to finish it off. It came out perfect in every way except for the fact that I do not have the rear cup holder and the woodgrain trim needed to be changed.

You must be registered for see images attach

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
now to change the look of the wood grain trim. I thought about having it hydrodipped but that stuff gets expensive and the down time is long depending on who you use. So, I decided to take a cheaper route and experiment with something else. I used 3M 1080 vinyl wrap and I must say that this stuff is awesome. Its so good that I am going to use it on my door switches and door handle trim. I currently have some simulated carbon fiber plastic overlay things on them but I just dont care for the look of the shinny fake looking carbon fiber. Here is some pics of the 3M stuff. The camera made it look really shinny but in reality, its not.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just when things were going really good too!!!! The dreaded spider injection strikes the Hoe!!!! Looks like Im taking a detour this Memorial Day weekend.

I put a new AcDelco unit as well as cleaned out the throttle body and now this baby runs awesome. It feels like I picked up 35hp!!!!!!!!! Total time involved in this job was 3 hours. Not bad.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now that the engine is put back together, I can finally get back to my most current mod I am working on....... a double din install!! I tossed around the idea of moving the HVAC controls to a 95 style ashtray assembly but there wasnt enough free room for the wires to be routed that wouldnt bend them to much so I changed speeds and decided to keep them where they belong, in the dash. My goal is to make this install look as factory done as possible. I bought 3 spare dash bezels from the local junkyard and will be using them to make one good bezel. It will be a lot of work but Im anxious to get started.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
now to change the look of the wood grain trim. I thought about having it hydrodipped but that stuff gets expensive and the down time is long depending on who you use. So, I decided to take a cheaper route and experiment with something else. I used 3M 1080 vinyl wrap and I must say that this stuff is awesome. Its so good that I am going to use it on my door switches and door handle trim. I currently have some simulated carbon fiber plastic overlay things on them but I just dont care for the look of the shinny fake looking carbon fiber. Here is some pics of the 3M stuff. The camera made it look really shinny but in reality, its not.

3M Di-Noc! You're right! That stuff ain't cheap! Small pieces look good, but I had my cowl hood wrapped in that at one time & it was just too much of it.
With the initial cost of the hood, ($200.00) plus the wrap, for $150.00 more, I coulda had a real C/F hood!
...and I just ended up tearing it all off after 2 seasons!
A waste of (cough!) $500.00! Doh!

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Looking forward to your DD install I've got a deck waiting to go in

Adam

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking forward to your DD install I've got a deck waiting to go in

Adam

I think the biggest issue I am going to have with the DD install is the depth of the unit. A lot of middle of the road to high end units are at least 6" deep. The deck I am looking at (Pioneer AVH-4000NEX) is 7 1/8" deep which presents issues after all the wiring is jammed back into the dash. I am currently running 3 amps so thats 3 sets of RCAs that I have to contend with. The DD MAY have to stick out past the face of the bezel. I wont know until I get the DD and do some fitting.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3M Di-Noc! You're right! That stuff ain't cheap! Small pieces look good, but I had my cowl hood wrapped in that at one time & it was just too much of it.
With the initial cost of the hood, ($200.00) plus the wrap, for $150.00 more, I coulda had a real C/F hood!
...and I just ended up tearing it all off after 2 seasons!
A waste of (cough!) $500.00! Doh!
I bought a 60"x12" roll on Amazon for $20! The stuff works great IF you know how to manipulate it with a heat gun. I may try and do the darker grey part of the dash bezel with it but there are a lot of tight inside and outside bends to it so Im not too sure how well it will contour. Too much heat on it and it makes it soft for a second and then extremely brittle when it cools down.